This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

You can’t beat the prices of drug store make-up brands — they allow us the luxury of buying multiple products without spending exorbitant amounts of money. But, it’s easy for a frugal purchase to become a waste of money if you don’t know what to buy. Without the benefit of testing the makeup before purchasing it, you run the risk of buying something you’ll regret. Not everything you buy will be a hit, but for every miss, you learn a valuable lesson in what not to buy. 

So how does the novice drug store shopper navigate the aisles overflowing with options?

1. Read online reviews. There are tons of beauty blogs, tutorial videos, and review pages dedicated to everything from Almay to Wet n’ Wild.
  2. Clip coupons. Saving up CVS-extra care rewards coupons, or taking ads out of the Sunday paper will give you the freedom to try new products at lower costs.
  3. Find a favorite. Shopping around is great from the beginning, but once you find a favorite supplier for lips, eyes, or face, continue to try products within that same brand. You’re more likely to be satisfied with your results.

For Lips:

Revlon: Just Bitten Kissable Balm Stain: This is an absolute must. It retails between $7 and $9, depending on the store and is available in twelve different shades. It feels like chapstick, but wears like long-lasting lipstick. Since it is a stain, you can layer the color, making it deeper or lighter depending on your preference.

Cover Girl: Lip Perfection: In over 40 shades, there is a color in this collection that everyone will love! This lipstick is meant to serve as brilliant color and lip therapy. It is incredibly smooth and creamy, does not dry out your lips, or create cracks in the color. You can find it selling for $5.99 or more at your local drug store.

For Eyes:

Almay: Intense i-Color Palettes: These palettes are meant to bring out shades in specific eye colors. Do not feel confined by the palettes marked “for blue eyes” or “for green eyes.” If you like the color, go for it! These palettes are highly pigmented, and the color goes on smooth with great dimension.  These palettes can be found in most drug stores for around $6.

Maybelline: Volume Express Falsies Mascara: This mascara is ideal for all types and colors of eyelashes. It is odorless, does not clump, and leaves lashes looking full, long, and natural. It is also available in a variation to curl lashes. It sells for around $8 in most drug stores.

For Face:

Revlon: ColorStay Mineral Bronzer: For around $10, this compact will last you forever! The bronzer is sheer enough that it only gives the skin a light glow. It can be used from the heat of summer through the dead of winter without making you look unnaturally tan. The power can do double duty as a blush as well if applied heavier to the cheeks.

Maybelline: Dream Liquid Mousse: With a smooth airbrush finish and a thin, light feel, this foundation supplies you with coverage and color at minimal cost to your pores! It does not clog skin, but easily covers blemishes and gives the face a healthy glow. This foundation retails for around $9  at most drug stores and comes in a shade for everyone. 

Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!