This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

1. What workout classes do you teach at Bucknell?

I teach my own branded workouts. Warrior Ride is forty five minute high intensity interval training cycling experience with sprints, up / downs, hills, and mountain climbs designed to incinerate fat and build long, lean muscle. Warrior Workout has components of HIIT and Boot Camp elements, combining strength training and cardio with compound and isolated movements over defined intervals of time. This class improves cardiovascular and muscular strength and endurance, utilizing a “time under tension” approach. 

2. What’s your favorite thing about teaching Bucknell students?

I would have to say the enthusiasm and determination the students bring to each class. My classes focus on feeling good about your efforts and celebrating each day, and the fact that the students buy in and believe is very inspiring to me. 

3. What’s one piece of advice you would give to someone who is trying to live a healthier lifestyle?

This is a great follow up to the previous question. Each day offers a fresh start, a chance to treat yourself right and improve both your mental and physical wellbeing. Remember to celebrate the little victories, and the larger goals will seem more attainable. 

4. What’s your go to breakfast/lunch/dinner in a typical day?

Ha. Well, I would love it to be a five egg omelet with a pound of bacon, cheese steak for lunch, and a large pizza for dinner, but that is a terrible idea. I am a big believer in keeping eating healthy simple. If it is processed, try and skip it. Fresh meats, fruits, and vegetables will make you feel better. A typical day: Two eggs over easy with turkey sausage, snack bags of almonds, cashews, blueberries, grapes, and carrots for throughout the day, a lunch of grilled chicken breast on organic whole grain bread with lettuce avocado and tomato, dinner usually whatever fresh fish is available, along with cauliflower rice and sautéed spinach. I tell people all the time, do not starve yourself. This does not lead to efficient weight loss. You are just depriving your body of nutrients it needs and telling it to store fat. 

5. What’s your favorite “cheat” food?

The aforementioned Pizza and Cheesesteak. I alternate between them on a cheat day, which is usually Saturday afternoons.

6. If you’re not in a good mood, but still want to get a good workout in, what’s something you tell yourself to keep motivated?

Just get the workout started. It is guaranteed to improve my mood. I always feel better afterward. Scientific studies support this as well.

7.  What are a couple of your favorite songs to play during warrior workout/warrior core?

So many to choose from. A couple student favorites that are mine as well are “Boom” by Tiesto with Sevenn, “All Aboard” by Bassjackers  with D’Angelo and Francis, and “Going Insane” by Warp Brothers.

8. Where’s your favorite place to eat in Lewisburg?

Well, for a fancier meal, I really like Elizabeth’s. For a quick bite, Fugi Steakhouse and Toninos.

9. What’s the best stretch (or stretches) to do before a workout?

I am a big proponent of stretching before and after a workout. I prefer long slow stretches with deep breathing, sort of a “yoga” approach.

10. What’s a life motto you live by?

Being kind costs nothing. Try to make the world a little brighter each day if you can.

11. What classes do you teach at the Miller Center?

The same Warrior Workout classes, as well as a strength based class called BODYPUMP.

12. Other than the classes you teach, what are your favorite ways to get exercise? Running? Biking outside? Swimming? 

I love running and riding my bike outside. I also love kayaking. My Achilles Heel, swimming. I enjoy competing in triathlons with Kayak, Bike, Run.

13. Anything else you would like me to include here:

Just that I look forward to every class I teach at Bucknell. The effort and positivity the students bring brighten my day!

Lexi Smilow

Bucknell '20

writer from Bucknell University. I write about mostly lifestyle and sports!
Isobel Lloyd

Bucknell '21

New York ~ Bucknell