The Benefits of Yoga for the Mind, Body, & Spirit

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

Bucknellians are a busy bunch – between classes, group projects, social activities, club meetings, and the million other things competing to be penciled into our Lilly Pulitzer (or if you’re like me, Vera Bradley!) planners, we barely have time to sleep, let alone time to relax and do something for ourselves. It’s easy to get buried under all of our obligations, but in this age of constant technology stimulation and social buzz, it’s even more important for us to slow down and just be.

Becoming a Yogini

Since coming back to campus after winter break, I have started attending yoga classes twice a week at the KLARC and I am absolutely loving it. First semester was chaotic for most of us –  adjusting to new living situations and a fresh set of classes and commitments takes time. Now that we’re used to the pace of the academic year, it’s the perfect time to explore the awesome fitness classes offered right here on campus. Scheduling in a mere two hours a week to breathe deeply, clear our minds, and enjoy some golden silence results in physical and mental health benefits.

Just Say Om

Yoga is a mind-body practice, and though there are various types and intensities, the majority of classes are stretching-based and aimed at gaining flexibility, strength, and balance. As a result, frequent practicing can result in better posture, increased lung capacity, and lower blood pressure, which has been shown to decrease risk of heart disease and stroke. Yoga can also relieve symptoms of asthma, back pain, and insomnia (by helping you to fall asleep faster and stay asleep longer) as well as stabilize metabolism, and increase immune and circulatory system function.

Zen is As Close As The KLARC

The American Psychological Association reports that by focusing on unmanaged stress, yoga has been scientifically proven to counteract depression, anxiety, fear, and other psychiatric disorders. Bonus: practicing yoga can also increase your concentration and help you perform better in class!

The hour long classes are held in the Fieldhouse group fitness studio and are focused on toning the entire body, establishing effective breathing techniques, connecting to our inner selves, and letting go of the negativity that we sometimes let infiltrate our minds. The instructors are Elizabeth, Cheri, Heather, and Erik, and though I’ve only been to Heather and Erik’s classes, I’ve heard that they’re all stellar. The classes are definitely worth your time, and I dare you not to come out of the studio smiling!

If you’re still not convinced, don’t forget about the power of savasana–five minutes at the end of class devoted purely to laying on your mat with your eyes closed and just being. And hey, it’s totally okay to live for savasana some days…who doesn’t love enforced relaxing? So Buckellians, get ready to hit those mats… Namaste!

*Yoga classes are offered in KLARC Mondays from 8-9 am and 5-6 pm, Tuesdays from 5-6 pm, Wednesdays from 9-10am and 10-11 pm, Thursdays from 5-6 pm, and Fridays from 9-10 am. 

Sara is a current sophomore double majoring in Psychology and English with a concentration in Creative Writing. Aside from serving as the Vice President of Administration and writing for Her Campus Bucknell, she is a tour guide, holds a position in her sorority, and serves as a peer counselor at a local elementary school. Sara is an avid fan of yoga, coffee, reading, spontaneous dance parties, and anything that involves rainbow sprinkles.
Sarah Dubow graduated from school in 2013 and is a Digital Strategist at Marina Maher Communications in New York City. After serving as Campus Correspondent at Bucknell University, she is so excited to continue being a part of the Her Campus team! Besides traversing the city and trying to figure out what being a "real person" really means, Sarah loves long walks on the beach, sipping pina coladas, and getting caught in the rain (kidding!). Real favorites include traveling, writing, kickboxing, and making up ridiculous lyrics to the latest songs. She absolutely loves anything that involves cupcakes, butterflies, glitter, and anything Parisian and specializes in baking with far too much chocolate and obsessively watching shows bound to be cancelled after the first season. Though the long term path for this post-grad collegiette remains unclear, she's looking forward to all the new 20-something adventures that await her!