5 Meditation Spots on Campus

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

In the realm of self-care and wellness, the wonders of meditation are no secret. Although the practice has only recently made its way into Western pop culture, it has existed for thousands of years, manifesting itself in various forms through many cultures and religions. In fact, meditation appears in all of the five major religions (Hinduism, Christianity, Islam, Judaism, and Buddhism). The benefits of meditation are sweeping, ranging from improvement of self-awareness and mental health to reduction in blood pressure.

If you practice or are looking to begin practicing meditation (with or without a religious purpose), you have probably discovered that doing so in the context of a college campus is no simple task. Although the fast-paced, taxing nature of student life can be complemented quite gracefully with a consistent meditation routine, finding the time and, moreover, a place to meditate can ironically serve as an additional source of stress.

Hypothetically, meditation can be practiced anywhere, but it is typically helpful to practice in a space that is quiet, meaningful and distraction-free. If your current living situation does not possess these qualities or maybe you are just looking to find a new space anyway, don’t fret. Luckily, there are several spaces on Bucknell’s campus that offer an atmosphere ideal for meditation. Here are 5 spots to keep in mind:

1.     Rooke Meditation Chapel

Looking for a traditional meditation room? This space is surprisingly large and almost always empty. It is located on the south side of Rooke Chapel, directly across the street from The Weis Center. Meditation pillows are available for use.

2.     South Campus Fitness Room

Although this spot is intended for activities more directly related to fitness, it is typically quiet and full of warm, natural light. Yoga mats are available for use.

3.     Bucknell Landing (The Dock)

The Landing is easily one of Bucknell’s most charming spots. The serene setting is ideal for practicing meditation. Note: the dock is removed for the winter season.

4.     Bucknell Golf Course

Although meditating in the middle of a fairway on The Golf Course could frankly be dangerous, certain wooded areas of the course surrounding holes are quite peaceful.

5.     Buffalo Valley Rail Trail

Although this spot is not technically on campus and it requires a bit of walking, running, or biking before and after the meditation, it’s worth it. This trail is particularly beautiful in the fall so get to it!

What's up Collegiettes! I am so excited to be one half of the Campus Correspondent team for Bucknell's chapter of Her Campus along with the lovely Julia Shapiro.  I am currently a senior at Bucknell studying Creative Writing and Sociology.