Wellness > Mental Health

5 Journaling prompts to show seasonal depression who’s boss!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bucknell chapter.

If you’re anything like me, as soon as the leaves turn from a healthy green to a crisp yellow, seasonal depression hits like a truck. And that’s not to say that Bucknell doesn’t have the most beautiful array of fall trees, because we most certainly do, but seasonal depression is heavy and sadly cannot be healed with one sunset sitting in an orange or blue adirondack chair on the quad. But boy oh boy, do I wish that was the case. Through transitioning into the Bucknell routine this August, and especially now as the sun seems to be out just a smidge less every day, I have found that whipping out my notebook and writing my thoughts down on a piece of paper magically puts my mind at ease. Now, allow me to let my psychology and mental health advocate self nerd-out for a moment as I give you my three favorite journaling prompts!  

1. What am I the most excited for?  

When feelings of sadness arise, it is so so so easy for your mind to get stuck in the mud. For me, this journaling prompt has been like a hand pulling me out of that muddy puddle! When my schedule is hectic and I feel like my brain is turning to mush, I take out my notebook and write down at least five upcoming events that I’m looking forward to. These can be as simple as  finally getting a good night’s sleep after taking that midterm you’ve been stressing about, or as big as your family trip to Hawaii this upcoming winter break. The things that get us out of bed in the morning matter, especially when it comes to mental health. This journaling prompt serves as  a reminder of what we live for. 

2. Who am I grateful to have in my life?  

Seasonal depression has the tendency to make people feel as alone and cold as the weather outside. However, using your journal, or even just a piece of paper in the back of your calculus notebook to write down the people in your life who make you feel warm is so important for mental health and well being. The people at the top of my list are my parents and baby sister, my lovely boyfriend, my home best friends, and my second family that I have found here at Bucknell. Who’s on your list? And what about them makes you feel at home?  

3. What aspects of myself do I love?  

This one is a BIGGIE. Mega, super important. Famous poet, Rupi Kaur, once wrote, “how you love yourself is how you teach others to love you.” How we treat ourselves and talk to ourselves in the mirror is essential for combating seasonal depression; when you talk to yourself with sunshine, the sunshine will find you. So, I challenge you to grab your journal and jot down some things about yourself that you love. Your ability to help people, your eyes that look like honey, how hard of a worker you are,  your hands that allow you to interlock with the people you love. I triple dog dare you to write as many things you love about yourself as you can, until you’re blue in the hand, and to look back at that page in your journal from time to time. Maybe rip it out and hang it on your wall to remind yourself daily of how awesome you are! 

My biggest advice: just write. These suggestions are some of my favorites, but the thing about journaling is that the world is yours. Let the page be your creative outlet. Write about the one country you have always wanted to travel to. Write about your happy place – how do you feel when you’re there? What does it look like? Write about your dog. Write about your childhood best friend. Just pick up the pen and write, reflect, and be open to learning about yourself. It might not be the medicine to fight seasonal depression away, but journaling sure as heck allows you to explore yourself and reflect on the beauty of life. 

Kaelyn Jasina

Bucknell '22

Kaelyn Jasina is a First Year student at Bucknell University studying Psychology and Creative Writing. She loves to take spin classes on campus, go out with her friends, do yoga, and write stories highlighting what it means to be human. She hopes her work makes you feel empowered :)