thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
thought catalog IcUbKfIuQ70 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Unsplash
Wellness > Mental Health

Why It Is Important to Keep Yourself Sane During This Trying Time

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Currently, we are living in a time that is unprecedented. There’s an enemy that we can’t see, understand, or defeat right now, so we have to revert and play defense against it. 

Unfortunately, for a lot of us, that has meant shutting down big parts of our lives, and it’s been really scary. Colleges have been cleared, restaurants are empty every day, cars aren’t on the roads, and the stock market is collapsing. It’s safe to say…things have not been feeling very safe in the past few weeks. 

It seems as though every time you open your phone or read the news, there’s some new update on what else is going on in the world. With it, another part of you is hurt and in complete shock of what is happening. Trust me, I have been feeling that way too. 

“Nothing makes sense.” 

“Is this even real?”

Anna Schultz-Girl Sitting On Bed Facing Wall
Anna Schultz / Her Campus

These are honest statements that so many of us have had over the past couple of weeks. But, the only way you are going to get through this hard time is by trying to maintain your sanity. It is going to be hard for a couple of reasons: a) you want to give up b) you are so tired of all the bad news c) people just don’t understand and d) you feel all alone. 

I completely get it; however, I’m here to tell you…you’re not alone! So many people feel the same exact way, but you need to develop methods to push yourself through this time. Here are some views that I have implemented in my daily life. 

To give you a little background, the past few weeks have been very hard for me. I wasn’t able to pinpoint exactly where my anger was coming from, which made it even worse. I stopped adhering to my diet and just began eating whatever I could find. I stopped working out completely, didn’t really care for doing my schoolwork, and had random bursts of anger, sadness, and anxiety every day. 

I thought, “Wow, I worked so hard for this?” 

A senior spring in my childhood bedroom 2,000 miles away from my second home without most of my closest college friends? 

Essentially, I had given up. So, I completely understand what you are feeling. 

But tell yourself this: Aren’t you tired of feeling this way? I know I was, and unfortunately, there’s only one solution⎯ to take charge of your own life. 

COVID-19 has taken a lot from all of you in different ways that I can’t even begin to imagine. But, the one way we can all survive this is by controlling our own decisions. 

Right now, that means protecting yourself and others from this virus. That means social distancing. While some might say social distancing means you’re hiding or playing the defensive, it’s actually the opposite. 

Think about it. By social distancing, you are not only protecting yourself…you’re protecting your team, your home, your community. If anything, social distancing is playing the offensive. 

You’re taking charge of the health of yourself and those around you. You’re protecting them, and that’s a powerful move that many people aren’t capable of doing. 

Now, that doesn’t mean you sit inside and eat your bodyweight in Cheetos. 

Take this time to do yoga, at-home workouts, journal what’s happening in the news, educate yourself on this virus, and, most importantly, take care of yourself!

Yoga
Kristine Mahan / Spoon

Your sanity is crucial to successfully fighting this virus, and to have it; you have to take charge of your own life. 

Don’t give up because trust me; these next couple of weeks are going to be trying times. But, you have to stand up for yourself, for those around you, and for your home. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

I'm Kirthana Iyer, and I go by Kir as well! I am super fascinated by investigative reporting but I also have a soft spot for a simple listicle. At Boston University, I am a Journalism major with a concentration in International Relations. Since high school, I have had a passion for writing whether it be an argumentative essay or an article on the next Senior class event, so I wanted to find a way to do that in college. HerCampus provides me with that outlet. I am able to write about issues that an everyday teen deals with to pieces about our current political climate. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.