This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I was once the girl who thought all yoga was sleepy, too zen, and just not an intense workout. I had often gone to yoga classes that were too mellow and were focused only on the mind and not on the body.

All my misconceptions about the practice were completely proven wrong once I tried Corepower: a class that was challenging for both the mind and body.

Corepower has several types of classes that are standard throughout their locations; all heated to some extent, and they offer a great workout. The C1 class is a full body flow that is like most forms of Vinyasa. It’s a great class for working on your yoga foundations and practicing the core poses.

C2 is a heated experience of Vinyasa flow, with core and strength building exercises. When you are looking for more of a workout than a yoga class, this is the perfect pick.

Yoga Sculpt is Corepower’s other type of class, which is focused on muscle building. A more strenuous class, it incorporates yoga, weights, and strength-building exercises.

The last class, and my favorite, is Hot Power Fusion. This class is Corepower’s hottest class, with temperatures ranging from 98-100 degrees, with humidity. It focuses on balance poses and helps build endurance. With lots of opening poses, for your shoulders and hips, you stretch and strengthen your core.  

No matter which of the classes you take, you get a practice full of intensity, for both the mind and body.

Like traditional yoga, Corepower instructors will open the class by talking about their specific intention for the week and offer the time for you, as a yogi, to set an individual intention.  This intention will guide you through your practice.

My favorite part of Corepower classes is that they feature the best music.  A mix of wordless yoga music, mellow tunes, and more upbeat hits, the class’ music will not disappoint.

At the end of the 60 minutes, you’ve not only broken a sweat but also have taken a journey on your mat. This is a journey where you push yourself and strive to be better–both as a yogi and a person.

If you feel like yoga hasn’t worked for you in the past, maybe give Corepower a try.

I became familiar with the studio after trying their free week of yoga, which they offer all new customers.  It’s a great opportunity to try their yoga and decide if it’s the right fit for you.

Learning what you are looking for out of the practice is key when getting into yoga. Corepower has taught me that yoga is a discipline, and with the proper sequence, can be intensive for the mind, body, and soul.  

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Christina Constantine is a Boston University senior studying journalism. She is a New York City native that loves all things fashion, health, and lifestyle related.