Life > Academics

What I Wish I Knew Before Transferring Colleges

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Going into college, transferring had never been an option I had in mind. Since the start of the application process, I was determined to make the most of college, even if I didn’t end up where I first thought.

When the time came though, it became clear early on that things just weren’t clicking. I couldn’t force myself to like where I was, no matter how hard I tried. 

Transferring became the plan, and I couldn’t be happier to have gone through with it.

Changing universities changed my life completely. While there are still some things I’m figuring out, I’ve never once felt like it was the wrong move. For those who are thinking of transferring but are nervous for what’s to come, I’ve put together my best advice for how to adjust to your new home.

Be prepared to put yourself out there

While everyone says this about your freshman year, I believe it’s even more important as a transfer student.

As a transfer, there are less opportunities tailored specifically to meeting other students, and you’re expected to be more socially independent than freshman year.

Additionally, with an extra year under their belt, a lot of people on campus already have their groups of friends. It can be tough to break into the social scene of your graduating class, and doing so depends on you making the first step in building new friendships on campus.

Get involved on campus

Joining extracurricular activities around campus is one of the best things you can do for yourself.

Whether it’s something related to your major, a social organization, or anything else, this is a great way to immerse yourself more in your school. Extracurriculars are easy ways to make new friends and to keep yourself busy!

I find now that my extracurriculars are what I look forward to most during the week.

Keep a full schedule

When adjusting to your new life at school, I’ve found it’s really beneficial to keep a full schedule and have a good routine. Every day of the week, I have an activity outside of class and I plan what I have to get done and when.

Filling your schedule really helps to settle in and feel more at home where you are. Also, as school picks up, scheduling can help you keep track of assignments and stay up to date. 

Fight imposter Syndrome

As someone who transferred to a more academically rigorous university than the one I started in, the workload has definitely been something I’ve had to adjust to.

In the beginning, I didn’t get the grades I was used to getting. I had to work harder than I ever have before, and the stress was getting to me. What if I don’t really belong here? Maybe I should’ve just stayed where I was.

As you go through your transition process, you might start to have these doubts about your abilities and your decisions, but they just aren’t true. Surround yourself with people who believe in you and remember that you deserve to be where you are.

Practice Self-Care

Transferring is an incredibly stressful process at times. While it’s important to get busy and meet new people, don’t neglect your own well-being in the process!

Make time for yourself, whether it be to go to the gym, hang out in your room, take a nap, etc. It’s important to take care of yourself during this new period. Prioritize things that are important to you and help you stay in good spirits. These habits will carry you through the rest of college and make for an easier transition. 

Coming to a new college has been life-changing for me in the best way. Although I can’t change the past and what college I first picked, I was able to make a change in my life to get to where I am now — my new home. These tips helped make it feel like I was here all along.

To any transfers out there who are unsure about their future, I hope this helped and good luck on your journey! 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

I’m a member at BU chapter, a journalism major, and a sophomore transfer to the school.