What I Learned From Cutting My Own Hair

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I have had my fair share of drastic haircuts. From dark, blunt bobs with bangs to long, bleached ombrés, I have just about tried it all. Since my senior year of high school, however, I consistently grew out my hair to a fairly long length, only to cut it above my shoulders and then repeat the process. At the start of the second semester, I was in the “growing” phase until one night I decided: it was time to go short.

Let me preface this story with the fact that I worked as a receptionist at a hair salon for two years, and was often exposed to transformative haircuts in addition to the basic process of cutting hair. I’d had short haircuts before, so I knew it would work with my face shape, but I was still nervous my hair would be noticeably “DIY”.

One Youtube video and three inches later, I was back to my short hair. Granted, it was about twenty minutes of trial and error; despite the slight stress, I was swept with a feeling of liberation. Metaphorically and physically, a weight was lifted off my shoulders.

Besides less time required to style my hair, there was also a newfound level of confidence. My long hair matched most of my friends and was somewhat of a “go-to”, so I was excited to make my hairstyle more unique to me. As with any change, I was eager to be myself and explore my individual style. During the first week especially, I experimented with new looks to see what exactly I could do with this new hair length. Most of all, there was nothing more rewarding than receiving compliments on my hair and being able to say, “thank you, I did it myself”.

Granted, I don’t know if I will cut my own hair again. It was a spontaneous decision, but one that I am proud of. Going forward, I challenge you all to try something new. Push yourself out of your comfort zone and see if it is a lasting change. Hair is just one thing you can individualize, but it does come with a great feeling of confidence. So, whether it is a new fashion trend or some way you present yourself, go for it!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.