Culture > News

What Is Going On? A Reflection on the Changes In Our Lives

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

“What is going on” seems to be the question everyone is asking right now – including myself. Coronavirus changed all of our lives overnight and is continuing to change them.

As for me, my life significantly changed when BU switched to online classes and closed campus. To me, this means that the sorority I just joined will no longer be able to have events this semester, the tap group I’m in will no longer be able to have our performance in April, and I won’t be able to see my BU friends until September. Needless to say, I’m bummed.

However, I know that many people have been much more affected by this than me. My heart goes out to seniors who won’t get to graduate, people who have contracted coronavirus or know someone who has, people who are more susceptible to the virus, healthcare providers who are putting themselves at risk, people that have lost their jobs, etc.

I don’t know about you, but I still can’t believe we’re living through a pandemic. Like, it’s so crazy. This is one of those things that we will never forget, ever. Years from now, I’ll probably be telling my kids about how my freshman year of college got cut short by coronavirus. 

medical supplies
Original Illustration by Gina Escandon for Her Campus Media
Although this stinks for pretty much everyone, it’s important to try to be positive and look at the bright side of things. The bright side for me is that I get to be home with my family, who I love. I am also using this time to take it easy, catch up on things, and rest. 

I haven’t left my house in a week, except to get groceries with my family and see my grandparents. And I highly encourage you to do the same thing if you’re not already. It’s so important that we all stay home right now!

Dorm room bed with lights
Sarah Ehrlich

This is a time to be with your family, take it easy, catch up on things, rest, take up some new hobbies, and stay safe and healthy.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Suzanne Crow is a senior journalism major and American studies minor from Lubbock, Texas. In addition to being a writer and editor for Her Campus, Suzanne is a COM Ambassador, a Sigma Kappa, a radio show host for "Ladies of History" on WTBU, a writer for Off The Cuff, and a member of and social media manager for BU on Tap.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.