Kristen Bryant-Thinking In A Lala College Sweatshirt
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
Wellness > Health

What to Do While in Quarantine–How to Stay Safe and Productive in the Midst of the COVID-19 Outbreak

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’m currently at my home in New York, and there are rumors that NYC might shut down this weekend as the entire city goes into quarantine. At first, the thought of being in one place for a long period of time scared me because I am a very active person and love the outdoors. But minutes later, after analyzing the situation, I realized there are plenty of things you can do while you’re stuck at home. Here’s what I plan to do to keep myself busy!

Clean

Today I cleaned my room–and I mean really cleaned it. I didn’t just throw away some unworn clothing and called it a day. I wiped down my desk and threw away everything that I hadn’t used within 2 months. I found papers from my freshman year of college! I gave away clothes that didn’t fit me anymore (a moment of silence for my high school skinny self). In my drawers, I found old pins, makeup, accessories–they’re all gone now.

Read books

I plan to finish a book I recently bought, Little Life by Hanya Yanagihara.  I also plan to re-read books that have been on my bookshelf since freshman year of high school, and then to donate them so they won’t clutter and collect dust. 

Apply to jobs

Each day, I tell myself that I will apply to a minimum of 5 jobs. It keeps me busy, and I know that my future employed self will thank me later! 

Work out

As of today, NYC is not on quarantine and I am able to go out, so I’ll take that opportunity to bike every day for 30 minutes. If you are in quarantine, I recommend squats, pushups, or crunches. Do not use this time to lie on your bed and be inactive! Remember: this time will pass, and whatever you’re doing now daily will either make you proud or give you feelings of regret. 

Keep up with your appearance

Now, I’m not the type who loves dressing up, and most of the time I prefer to wear leggings and a t-shirt. But if you really want to get stuff done during this time, act as if you’re not in a comfortable space like your room, but as if you’re at your dream job or college. It’ll bring back a sense of normalcy and routine that you need to focus.

Use this time to do what you’ve been putting off because you “didn’t have time” before. Don’t slack on your goals just because your schedule changed a bit. Stay strong and disciplined, and don’t forget to wash your hands!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.