The Weird Things You Miss About College Over Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I was so excited to go home over winter break. It meant I got to see all of my friends and family and sleep in my own bed. But once I actually got home, I started to miss the little things about being in school that I didn’t even realize I was going to miss. Here are the few of the pleasantly unexpected parts of college that I missed when I was home over winter break. 

1. The dining hall.

My friends and I spend so much time sitting and talking in the dining hall, and even though I never thought I was going to miss it, I was so excited to come back and be able to reunite over Saturday morning pancakes. However, the food is still as bad as it was before break, and I definitely did not miss that aspect.

2. Routine.

I missed having the daily routine that I became so familiar with during the fall semester. At first, it was nice to get a break from school, but then I surprisingly started to miss my day-to-day activities and the people that I saw on a regular basis. It really made me appreciate the structure college has provided for me.

3. Not having people around all the time.

I didn’t realize until I got home how much time I spend with people throughout the day when I’m at school. Being home was weird because I wasn’t constantly surrounded by people and it made me realize how accustomed I now am to constantly being around people, noise, and the everyday chaos of college.

4. Convenience.

Living so close to everyone and everything that I need is so convenient and I didn’t realize that until I got home. At home, I had to drive to go to the store or meet up with people, and here in Boston, everything I need is within a short walking distance.

5. Freedom.

In school, I have the freedom to go wherever I want, whenever I want, without having to tell anyone what I am up to. It is nice to be able to do your own thing and not be concerned about what anyone else has to say about it. At home, I share my car with two other people, so I was also reliant on them and was restricted in what and when I was able to do things. 

Even though I was extremely excited to go home, by the end of my break, I missed a lot of things about school that I never even thought I would!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

India is a freshman in the College of Communications, but is currently undecided. She is from Hermosa Beach California and is used to living by the beach. She's not sure how the winter is going to go, but she is excited to make Boston her new home this year!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.