Thinking of Transferring? Here’s My Take

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For me, the transfer process came as a bit of a surprise. I had gone into my freshman year of college at the University of Alabama expecting to begin the best years of my life. I expected to meet amazing friends, go out, join a fantastic sorority where I would find my soulmates, all whilst doing well in school. Unfortunately, I struggled socially and felt completely isolated. I was lonely, devastated, and needed a change. By the end of my first semester, I knew that I had to transfer, and by the middle of second semester I had received my acceptances and had chosen Boston University to be my new home. Here are some tips I learned along the way.

You don’t have to stay anywhere that makes you unhappy.

I remember when I was considering transferring, immediately people kept telling me to stick it out another year, that most people don’t make great friends during their first year but it will all come together eventually. But man, I am so glad that I didn’t listen to them. I knew how unhappy and alone I was. You can’t (and shouldn’t) rely on the what-ifs of the future. While it is important to consider if you are truly unhappy, make the change. It’s your life, not theirs.

Look up the application deadlines ASAP.

This is something I wished I had done sooner. I knew I wanted to transfer in November of 2019, yet didn’t look up the application deadlines until January. As a result, my essays were turned in on the day of the due date and I was scrambling to pull together all of my paperwork.

Interact with your transfer Facebook group.

Once you receive your acceptances, more likely than not your school will have a Facebook group for all incoming transfer students. Join it. Don’t be afraid to comment, post a short bio of yourself, and reach out to other students. Through the group at BU, I have met so many amazing people, and I don’t feel alone on campus!

Though this process may be scary at first, you’ve got this! Trust yourself and don’t let outside noise affect your decisions. You will find your home and the people that make your soul full if you give it your all.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.