Taking a Gap Semester Helped Me Find Joy During the Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

To me, positivity has always come naturally. I am an avid collector of Instagram screenshots of quotes that help you understand the true meaning of your life and never fail to lift you up. However, for most people like me, this past year was like no other. It felt almost disingenuous of me to want to keep my spirits up, especially with the state the rest of the world was in. There was no sense in trying so hard to stay optimistic about every scenario, or convincing my friends to do the same when every week brought a wave of bad news. As I was going through a distressing time and felt completely unprepared for college, I decided to take a gap semester.

Almost immediately, it felt like the most impulsive decision I could make. I had all this free time on my hands and I didn’t know what I would do with it. It was the first time in 12 years that I had no deadlines, extracurriculars, or tests. I don’t know how many of you can relate, but for me, having no routine felt almost as overwhelming as having one. I suddenly felt all this pressure, by no one but myself, to “get it right.” “It” being my gap semester. However, I had no idea how to start. So naturally, I jumped on the Dalgona coffee trend and learned how to bake, like everyone else in the world. Thankfully, it did not stop there.

lattee next to phone and earbuds
Photo by Juja Han from Unsplash

With endless free time, I took online courses on subjects I was interested in and read enough books to finally match my mum’s expectations. I impulsively started a small online business, creating personalized paintings for customers. This turned out to be one of the best decisions I have made so far! It surprisingly did really well. and I created my own website so I could increase my reach. I would donate my monthly profits to an NGO in my city that was providing subsidized healthcare during the quarantine. Having the ability to impact my community, as well as feeling like I had control over my life in a tumultuous and unpredictable world, made me so much more confident.

laptop, coffee, writing
Photo by Thought Catalog from Unsplash

The weeks started getting a little lonely, so I asked my parents if I could get a puppy, but was sadly bargained down to fish. I have four fish now, and they are quite a delight to watch when you realize their daily fascination with fake plants never ends. I frequently spent nights watching cliché old movies with my brother, a quality time that I am most grateful for.

I think what has given me the most joy during the pandemic is staying true to myself, focusing on the little pleasures, and realizing that I am so much more than I had given myself credit for. In these last seven months, I have been an entrepreneur, an amateur baker of cakes, a fish-mom, an artist, as well as a tough movie critic. The pandemic is still going on, but I understand now that it’s okay to want to stay positive, even if people around you are not, and even if it doesn’t seem worth it.

I’m here to tell you that it is 100% worth it to stay positive during uncertain times. Hold on to your joy and try to be the reason someone else has a better day!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Saumya is a freshman studying Psychology at Boston University. Some of her hobbies are painting, drinking way too much bubble tea, and reading! Find her on Instagram @saumya.maitra