Take Up Space — My Mantra for the Fall Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Before Alexandria-Ocasio Cortez’s primary debate against incumbent Joe Crowley, she sat on her couch in her humble apartment in the Bronx, saying to herself, “I can do this. I am experienced enough to do this. I am knowledgeable enough to do this. I am prepared enough to do this. I am mature enough to do this. I am brave enough to do this.”

While watching Netflix’s Knock Down the House documentary, which features the campaigns of four female Democrats, this is the moment that struck me the most. I hadn’t expected to see the confident, self-assured Congresswoman needing to remind herself of the same things that I struggle to remember sometimes.

After crying through the ending of the documentary, I walked away with one phrase stuck in my head: “I need to take up space.” Such a simple concept, such a simple phrase, and yet it was something that I needed to hear more than anything over the summer.

I am a textbook case of not wanting to take up space… the number of unnecessary apologies I make in a day is astronomical. I also know that, although I hate admitting it, I’m definitely prone to underestimating myself. Because of this, I decided before coming to school this semester that it was time to make a change.

My goal this semester is to take up space. I want to have confidence in myself, whether it’s confidence in my abilities, my knowledge, my actions, or anything else. I just want to be proud of the life I’m living while I’m in college. I want to leave BU after four years knowing that I did what I wanted to do and then some. 

I was tired of letting my lack of self-confidence get in the way of reaching for all the things I wanted to do, just because I was too afraid of failing. I wanted to be running for E-Boards, reaching out to acquaintances who I wanted to be good friends with, and joining student organizations that seemed amazing but intimidating.

I wish I had a more interesting story of how I accomplished all of that, but once I realized that these were all things that would make me happy I just… did them. It really astounds me how much the “fake it ‘til you make it” mentality can get you through life. 

At this point, I can’t tell how much of whatever I’m doing is faking it versus making it, but I can tell that I am the happiest that I’ve ever been at school. As I continue on through the semester, the school year, and the rest of my time at BU, I want to continue doing my best to take up space. 

I have met some incredible people and done some incredible things so far this semester just because I stopped letting myself be afraid. And now? I can’t wait to see what’s next. Even if life throws some curveballs at me (as I’m sure it will), I feel better prepared to take on whatever comes my way because I have faith that I can handle it.

So, as it turns out, deciding to watch Knock Down the House on a random day in August ended up being one of the best decisions I’ve ever made. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Morgan is a senior at Boston University studying public relations with minors in art history and political science. She loves fall, cafés, and exploring Boston. She is a frequent art museum goer and an ardent Bruins fan. Besides writing, Morgan's hobbies include curating Spotify playlists, cheering on the BU Terriers at hockey games, and exploring independent bookstores.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.