Sundays With Margo: On Self-Care and Disconnecting 

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In my last advice column piece, I discussed “the three selves,” and today I am going to elaborate on another aspect of the self — and that is self-care. 

I find that during the week, a lot of us are always out and about, on the go. This could be for a variety of reasons — a pressing schedule, a not-so-great roommate, a loaded list of stresses, a combination of all of the above. I find that sometimes I get so caught up in my schedule and spending time with my lovely college friends, that I forget to just breathe for a second and separate myself.

It is healthy to take time to disconnect. Go disconnect somewhere! Do whatever makes you happy and relax on your own. I could give a laundry list of suggestions of what to do to disconnect, but I feel that this is something so personal that you should really think deeply to yourself about what you want to do to relax. I am currently writing this article sick in bed, and I think after a difficult week it is incredibly important to rest and decompress, while spending time to center yourself and your thoughts.  

When you spend time in your head for a little bit, without distractions, without technology, without being surrounded by the thoughts of others, a lot of fascinating revelations about yourself — desires, goals, emotions — are made. It really is quite refreshing. So take a little self-care-vacation next weekend; the results will be eye-opening, productive, and relaxing. And besides, your body will thank you! 

Until Next (Lazy) Sunday, 

Margo  

Margo Ghertner is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Boston University. When the Nashville-native isn't writing and helping the other HCBU teams execute their projects, you can find her listening to business podcasts, baking, reading, and spending time with her friends.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.