Sundays with Margo: Kill That Schedule for a Second and Take a Break!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you know me, you know that I love a good schedule. I love to plan. I love to make a crazy amount of intricately color-coded lists. 

I fall asleep at night and sometimes I can’t turn off my brain. There’s nothing horribly wrong with that — sometimes I get my best ideas for life and my writing in those 5 minutes before I pass out.

Another thing you should know about me — I love to do school work on Fridays so that I don’t have to think about it for the rest of my weekend. I get into my meticulous Friday schedule. I have class until 2 and then I go right into my weekend homework. It happens like clockwork, just like every other day of the week.

Although I love a good schedule, I have realized that sometimes a set schedule can be a little too controlling and a little too destructive to your mental health. 

For example, this past Friday I was coming to terms with something that had been bothering me for a long time. When I tried to push myself to stick with my Friday schedule and do work right after I got out of class, I simply couldn’t do it. I felt too upset due to the personal hardship I was trying to analyze, but I also felt additional discomfort because I didn’t think I could stick to my schedule. Naturally, I am a pretty intuitive person. My gut is loud and will slap me in the face with the decisions that I should and shouldn’t make. This past Friday, my body quite literally told me to throw away all Friday plans and work on making myself feel better, and to spend all of Sunday having a lazy day dedicated to doing work.

Back when I was in elementary school, there was the concept of the “take a break chair.” Anytime a child acted up, wasn’t paying attention or wasn’t really feeling present in what they were doing, they were told to go take a break in the “take a break chair.” As a college student, I find that this concept is still incredibly applicable. If you have a moment when you are feeling good, productive, sad, unmotivated, unfocused — whatever it may be, go take a break. If you don’t take a break, you, yourself, will break. 

My point is the following:

• Take care of yourself and take a break!
  • Readjust your scheduling and plans for your well being
  • Be selfish 
  • Listen to yourself

Until Next Sunday,

Margo

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Margo Ghertner is the Editor-in-Chief for Her Campus Boston University. When the Nashville-native isn't writing and helping the other HCBU teams execute their projects, you can find her listening to business podcasts, baking, reading, and spending time with her friends.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.