coronavirus medical gear
coronavirus medical gear
Her Campus Media
Culture > News

Some Thoughts from a Physician’s Child During the COVID-19 Pandemic

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

My dad brought me back home to New York in mid-March and packed his bags the next day to leave. Fortunately, he had a living space above his private practice that he could utilize while he was treating patients with Coronavirus. 

man holding stethoscope
Unsplash
I haven’t actually seen my dad in weeks now. I see him through our front windows sometimes when he comes by to pick something up that my mom left outside for him, like extra teabags (tea is really good for your throat!) or more pairs of scrubs. Although he has always worked ridiculous hours as a physician, this is new. I feel deeply for him and worry about his health. We’ve had a few scares when he would sleep through our calls in the morning. It’s especially scary to be separated from a family member and then have them stop responding. We don’t even know when he can come back. We’re looking at weeks to months. 

This is difficult. It’s difficult to live away from a family member who we won’t really be able to ensure the safety of and who is constantly exposed to the virus. We recently found out that he tested positive for antibodies, which means that he can donate his blood to help patients. This also means that he already contracted the virus and made it through! But it’s also a little scary because life could’ve ended up very differently. 

Women wearing a mask for health purpose
Pixabay
These are just some thoughts from the child of a physician right now. My parents are working long hours without pay, and my mom is handling four children on her own. We run out of food quickly!

Continue isolating. Continue social distancing. Health professionals all over the country stay at work around the clock, so the very least we can do is stay home for them.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Anchita is a freshman at Boston University, studying business with a concentration in entrepreneurship. Her hobbies include reading and writing.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.