Wellness

Sexual Assault Awareness Week at BU — Here’s What You Need to Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

This week, from April 8 to April 12, Boston University’s Sexual Assault Response and Prevention Center (SARP) is hosting their annual Sexual Assault Awareness Week. April is Sexual Assault Awareness Month across the country and BU recognizes the campaign by hosting its own events (which, by the way, are all free). Every day this week, SARP is running an activity to raise awareness for sexual violence. Here’s a rundown of what’s going to happen!

Photo Credit: BU SARP

The week is starting out strong with two events on Monday. You have The Clothesline Project, which runs all week, and I Will Walk With You. The Clothesline Project is an arts initiative started in 1990, in which survivors and their loved ones decorate t-shirts to convey their experiences regarding sexual assault. The shirts are on display at the BU Arts Initiative Gallery (GSU second floor) between 9 a.m. and 5 p.m. all week. The project will conclude with a reception for the event on Thursday at 4:30 p.m.

I Will Walk With You is a project you’ve probably noticed on campus in the past. Volunteers help create a pathway of chalk footprints stretching all the way across campus. These footprints represent solidarity and support for survivors – showing them that they do not walk the path alone. It’s taking place on Monday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Go out, volunteer, and help SARP pave the way for survivors!

Photo Credit: SARP at BU on Facebook

On Tuesday, The Every Voice Coalition is showing support for the Every Voice bills in the Massachusetts State House through Make Your Voice Heard. You can testify for these bills, which would provide better support for survivors on college campuses in Massachusetts and make the campus communities safer. This is taking place on Tuesday from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. at the Massachusetts State House.

Also happening on Tuesday at 7:30 p.m. in the GSU Back Court is the BARCC Survivor Speakers Panel, presented by the Boston Area Rape Crisis Center, the Center for Gender and Sexuality Activism, and the Howard Thurman Center. BU students will be able to hear real-life stories from survivors and discuss the strength and challenges of survivors.

On Wednesday, Becoming More Visible and a Panel Discussion is taking place at 6 p.m. at 100 Bay State Road, room 613. This event is composed of a documentary showing and a panel discussing how to support transgender youth.

Sexual Assault Awareness Week will end strong on Friday with “Take Back the Night,” sponsored by FemCo. The rally will start at 5 p.m. at the BU Beach and will be an empowering community gathering for survivors and their allies.

As BU students, we are lucky to have campus organizations, like SARP, that bring awareness to such crucial campus issues, especially sexual violence. Helpful steps like Sexual Assault Awareness Week will not only support survivors but will also further the national change started by the #MeToo Movement.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Alexandra Kallfelz is a senior studying journalism at Boston University. Besides writing, Alexandra's passions include color guard, travel, Netflix, music, and Disney. She is a pure-blood New Englander and a dog fanatic.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.