A Relationship With Midterms, as told by Taylor Swift

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Even though it feels as if the school year only started yesterday, more than half of the semester is already done. Unfortunately, October just wouldn’t be complete without everyone’s favorite part of fall: midterms! And who better to explain this roller coaster of a time than the queen of emotions— Ms. Taylor Swift.  

Before Midterms: 

Possibly the most stressful part of this whole experience is the time leading up to exams. College midterms are a whole new world and an intimidating one, especially for freshmen.  

First on the agenda: Re-reading the syllabus for the first time in almost two months and seeing exactly what’s to come, 

All of your friends keep texting asking why you can’t hang out. You have a sudden urge to throw your phone (or anything) because you know you must stay close to the books. 

So you retreat back into your study space. You really you just want to scream and cry though! 

Because all you can think about is what’s going to happen to your GPA if you don’t do well on your midterms. 

During Midterms:  

You do your last-minute cram ritual before you come face-to-face with the actual midterm. The teachers test our strength, endurance, and ability to run on little to no sleep. 

When you see your friends and you all sympathize with each other over what you’re going through, 

And you can’t even decipher what the questions on the tests are trying to ask because you’re so sleep deprived and stressed. You might go insane. 

So you eventually just blame it on the cosmos because there must be some outside force making these midterms impossible. 

And when you finish, you’re so overwhelmed by emotion that you’re not even sure how to react. 

After Midterms: 

Finally, the tests and essays are over and normal college life resumes. As horrible as the midterms may have been, they really helped you to appreciate the little things that you couldn’t do when tests were in session. 

Little things such as 1) getting to hang out with your friends without the idea of studying or cramming constantly in the back of your head, 

2) Getting to go to sleep at a reasonable hour, 

And 3) being able to sit back, relax, and binge a few episodes of your favorite show on Netflix. 

I guess the message you could take from this stressful experience and from Ms. Swift is that in times of trouble, just shake it off.  

…at least until Finals. 

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.