The Princess Saves Herself in This One: A Must-Read for Any Female

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Amanda Lovelace brings the notion of the “typical” princess crashing down. No longer is a princess a girl looking for love and happiness almost exclusively by means of a prince — a helpless damsel who has difficulty standing on her own two feet. Instead, the princess perseveres with each obstacle thrown in her path, ultimately ending up a queen and stronger than ever before. As the back of the book puts it, Lovelace uses her own experiences of family, lost love, and healing to write “the story of a princess turned damsel turned queen.” Within this book, you will find that you can derive unique meaning for each poem while still getting the overall message of “you can survive this.”

Photo from Facebook (Amanda Lovelace)

Lovelace’s poetry style is one that is skyrocketing in popularity, most notably similar to Rupi Kaur’s Milk and Honey. It seems that this style of poetry, a collection of sentences broken down into several lines, is becoming extremely trendy. If not for the simplicity of reading and the ease of getting a powerful message across, this style may be so popular because of the emotions it provokes. The broken-down setup of each poem emphasizes certain words and phrases that make you think and send chills down your spine. Read one of her poems over a few times, say it out loud, and feel the words on your tongue. Hear how the words are emphasized, and choose which words stick out to you. See the construction of the poem, the shape the phrases make and how they interact with each other.

Not only do Lovelace’s poems have powerful meanings, they have a unique meaning to each reader. There’s a good chance that a poem may resonate with you but not have the same meaning as another reader. The ability to read Lovelace’s work, find it relatable, and interpret it in unique ways is one of the reasons why The Princess Saves Herself in This One is so influential.

While you can find your own meaning behind each poem, the overall collection delivers a message of empowerment. You (the princess) are not weak; you are strong and can slay any dragon that stands in your way. Take some of my favorite poems for example:

Photo from Instagram (@ladybookmad)

I love Lovelace’s advocacy for women’s empowerment, told through the transformation of a princess — we are strong.

Photo from Instagram (@ladybookmag)    

We can all find our own happily ever after; we don’t need a prince.

You’re not a damsel in distress who’s looking for a prince, you’re a queen and you have more strength than anyone could imagine. If you need more proof, read this book for yourself!

Francesca is currently studying human physiology in the beautiful city of Boston. She loves to curl up with a good book or watch a Disney movie any chance she gets.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.