This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Did you often think about your last month of college? The memorable “lasts” before entering adulthood? Maybe it was sitting through your final lecture and studying in your favorite spot in the library, or making memories during senior week and prancing through campus in your cap and gown. Would you ever believe that in a blink-of-an-eye, without warning, it would be taken away? 

Photo by Andrea Piacquadio from Pexels
For the past four weeks, many of us have been grappling with just that. A time that was supposed to be filled with joy and celebration is now one of angst and uncertainty: watching the world shut down, fight, and mourn, unlike anything we’ve seen in our lifetime. And with frustration about our own losses, it’s so easy to feel selfish: thinking about the what-ifs and missed opportunities of your college experience.

But, our accomplishments will be celebrated in the future—certainly in greater fashion than any graduating class in recent history. The class of 2020 will forever be unique, and not because we are entering the workforce in such an uncertain economy. 

We are the graduating class that has gained enormous perspective at such a pivotal time in our lives. We are learning what true resilience looks like, witnessing the best of humanity and how quickly people can come together to make a difference. In our case of online classes and lost opportunities, we are learning what it means to be flexible, adaptable, and perseverant. While it may not be how we expected our grand entrance into the “real world” to look like, it will leave a unique impression on each of us, forever. 

seven graduates throwing their hats
Unsplash
This will pass, and in the end, we will have learned a whole lot. For certain, we will hug our family and friends tighter than ever before, and cherish the small things we are so blessed to call “normal.” Soon, we will be holding that diploma we worked so tirelessly for. We will be reaping the benefits of the degree we’ve earned. Whether this means pursuing an adventure, starting a job, or continuing your studies, the next chapter is ought to be a great one.

Class of 2020, it’s still our time to shine. There is so much to look forward to…

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Christina Constantine is a Boston University senior studying journalism. She is a New York City native that loves all things fashion, health, and lifestyle related.    
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.