This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s been a year since I moved from Southern California to Boston for college. My endless days of sunshine came to a close as I boarded the plane bound for the Boston Logan Airport. I chose to move across the country for a change of pace and to experience the beauty of an ever-changing climate. 

I was always told that the Northeast would be way colder than I anticipated, and people questioned why I would want to move away from the ideal weather that Southern California is known for. Nevertheless, my sense of adventure outweighed these warnings, and I committed to my dreams of going to college in Boston.

Winter

The flurries of my first snowfall were absolutely magical. Walking across campus in my own little winter wonderland fulfilled my expectations and validated my decision to move across the country. While I did miss my tan and beach days, winter provided new experiences, such as my newfound passion for ice skating.

Spring

After around three months of gloom-filled skies and freezing temperatures, the sun finally began to peak out from behind the clouds. All of a sudden, the campus was filled with students flocking to whatever seat they could find outside – trying to soak up the much-missed rays. 

Flowers and color began to fill the previously empty trees, and I was officially in love with spring. I took long walks, explored the city with friends, and did my schoolwork outside. 

Summer

Returning to Boston in September, I was ready to begin a new semester revitalized by summer break. Boston welcomed me back with temperatures similar to home and brutal humidity. I enjoyed the heat (despite my dorm room lacking air conditioning) and outdoor activities such as running along the Charles River and taking a boat ride in Boston Harbor.

Fall

As a pumpkin-spiced latte enthusiast and Gilmore Girls lover, fall in New England was my most anticipated time of year on the East Coast. When the leaves started turning orange, and the air felt crisp, I became even more infatuated with Boston. I tried my first hot apple cider, walked through archways of colorful trees, and indulged in many pumpkin-flavored treats. 

In reflecting on the past year, I have seen not only the shift in seasons but also the growth in myself. Moving to a new place and starting college began two defining chapters in my life at the same time.

I am incredibly grateful that I chose to embark on this new adventure, and I can’t wait to see what next year brings!

Tori Torres is a sophomore in the College of General Studies at Boston University. She will be continuing into the College of Communications to pursue a degree in Journalism. Moving into the Journalism field, she hopes to further explore passions in writing and creative design. She grew up in Southern California and chose BU to gain new experiences over 3,000 miles away from home.