books on brown wooden shelf
books on brown wooden shelf
Susan Yin/Unsplash

Meredith Bianchi: How To Get A 4.0 In College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

It’s no secret that college is hard, and maintaining a work-life balance is almost impossible sometimes. However, there are some people who pull of miracles by getting that perfect and seemingly unattainable 4.0 GPA. Meredith Bianchi, a Framingham State University graduate, is one of those people.

Here are some of her tips:

Q: What was your major in college?

A: Psychology.

Q: What did you find to be the most effective way to study for tests?

A: When studying for exams, I found it helpful to begin studying about one week in advance. Giving myself more time allowed me to study a little bit each night instead of cramming the night before an exam. Methods such as re-writing class notes and making/studying flashcards also helped me with memorizing course content.

Q: How did you manage your time?

A: In terms of time management, I would always complete the assignments that were due the soonest first. My leftover time would then be used for long-term assignments/projects as well as preparation for exams.

Q: When did you typically start your assignments?

A: I would always aim to begin class assignments as least a few days before they were due. I felt less stressed this way. Times that I did complete a project the day before it was due always felt overwhelming and the quality of my work decreased.

Q: What did you do to cope when school got to be too stressful?

A: When school became too stressful, I would always try to take a quick break. Doing something simple, like taking a shower or listening to music, helped my mind take a much-needed breather. This way, I always felt a bit more refreshed when returning to my studies.

Q: Did you find that sleep was important in helping your performance?

A: I did find that sleep impacted my academic performance. If I was tired, I found it difficult to focus in class as well as on assignments. I wasn’t as quick and my brain seemed to work slower. If there was a night that I didn’t get much sleep, I always made sure to have coffee to get me through the day.

Q: How much sleep did you get on an average night?

A: About 7 hours.

Q: Did you ever go to your teachers or other school resources for extra help?

A: In a few of my harder classes, I definitely relied on extra help from professors. I found attending office hours to be very helpful. I was able to receive one-on-one attention, and the professor was now also aware that I cared about his/her class. If I had a big paper due, I would also try to bring it to the Writing Center to get it reviewed by a writing tutor.

Q: What was your favorite thing about college?

A: My favorite thing about college was being able to explore my many academic interests. A variety of classes are offered, and students are truly able to learn more about what they enjoy. I also thought that college professors seemed to be very down-to-earth and real about how the world is.

So there you have it! Some tips from a college graduate who did the impossible and maintained her 4.0 GPA. Try and apply some of these tips into your own life, because they’ve all been proven to get results!

Julia Novello is a Film and Television major at Boston University, with a minor in Political Science. Her interests include writing, pop culture, binge watching Friends, politics, travelling, and everything to do with Tom Brady. She is a native of Boston, MA.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.