Culture > News

The Intersection of Politics, Football, and Empathy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ve been watching football since I was in utero. My mom was a Manning fan since he started out with the Indianapolis Colts in 1998, and I watched him until he retired.

Sundays were the only day that everyone in my family would be home at the same time — we’d watch Tiger Woods play at whatever tournament it was that week, then we’d watch football for the rest of the day.

Now that I’m in college, there are a few traditions that I try to keep alive — one of them being Sunday Night Football *insert Carrie Underwood and SNF theme song here.*​

Last night, I had one of the strangest experiences. My roommate, her boyfriend, and I were having our delicious Chinese takeout, watching the Patriots and Packers battle it out, when all of a sudden, I heard an ominous voice discussing the “destructive” immigrants that were “coming for America.”

My jaw dropped.

The lack of empathy being shown for refugees and the political extremism of the country just blows my mind. Immigrants and refugees are what make America the beautiful country it is.

Everyone is descended from immigrants, regardless of how long ago your family came (except Native Americans, Alaskan Natives and Native Hawaiians, we recognize you too). The caravans of refugees who are making their way to America should be welcome, the same way we welcomed the Irish, the same way we welcomed the Chinese.

I cannot understand where this hostility against non-white immigrants come from. America is supposedly known as the “Melting Pot” of foods, of cultures, and of people. But I keep seeing religious and ethnic persecution, through the ad that NBC failed to pull or through the microaggressions of white people all around the country.

I can’t speak for everyone, but I still hold out hope that we can turn it around. Hope for a brighter, more accepting, and empathetic future, where love will truly conquer hate.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out ourPinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jericha is a senior at Boston University studying Psychology and Public Health. In her free time, she enjoys listening to music, especially country and worships Taylor Swift and the band Joseph. She enjoys food and thinks avocados are too small for how expensive they are. When school is out of session, you can find her skillfully avoiding sunshine - working at Boston Children’s Hospital.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.