I’ve Become Numb to Trump, But I’m Still Voting

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Over the past two years, since America elected Donald Trump, I have become numb to politics. I still pay attention to the news and keep up with current events, but nothing surprises me anymore. Nothing has surprised me since Trump won the 2016 election.

I wasn’t shocked when President Trump called Senator Elizabeth Warren “Pocahontas,” when he repeatedly called news “fake,” when he ordered the travel ban, when he referred to countries as “shithole countries,” when he implemented the family separation immigration policy, when he denied the Puerto Rico death toll, when he defended his Supreme Court nominee after multiple women came forward and accused Kavanaugh of sexual assault – I can’t even begin to list all the terribly outrageous things he has done. I’ve been numb to everything, even when it was a topic personal to me.

The reason nothing has surprised me – or made me feel anything really – is that before he was even elected, Trump thought it was okay to “grab ‘em by the pussy,” mock a disabled person, boot a black man out of one of his rallies – again, I could go on.

I’ve become numb to everything happening in the political sphere as a defense mechanism. I feel that if I don’t let it affect me, I won’t feel as heartbroken to be an American. I didn’t break out into tears over the Kavanaugh confirmation until it was 2 am. I was exhausted and I finally let it hit me that an alleged assaulter now sits on the highest court in America.

My feelings are similar about mass shootings and other disasters. I’ll see the news and register that it happened, but nothing fazes me, even the right wing’s fight to stop gun control of any kind

But don’t be fooled. Trump hasn’t numbed me to the point of not doing anything about it, because I’ve just been storing up my rage inside. I’ve already sent in my absentee ballot for the midterm elections.

If you feel the same way as I do — numb to politics and maybe you barely even pay attention to the news at this point — don’t let it stop you from enacting change. The founders built the American government to center around the people.

Your right to vote is the most sacred privilege you have. In many states, you can still register to vote – check if you can hereRegister to vote, find out if you’re already registered, request an absentee ballot, and find out where to go on Election Day here.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Alexandra Kallfelz is a senior studying journalism at Boston University. Besides writing, Alexandra's passions include color guard, travel, Netflix, music, and Disney. She is a pure-blood New Englander and a dog fanatic.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.