This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

After weeks in lockdown with no definite end, it is clear that the stress and uncertainty of the current situation can take a toll on our mental health. For many people, life as they know it has been completely flipped upside down. For others, there have been smaller changes to daily life, but these are nevertheless felt profoundly. While experts continue to advise us to practice social/physical distancing and not emotional distancing, this pandemic has clearly led to a rise in boredom and loneliness, especially among teenagers and college students who are used to being around their peers practically 24/7.

Science shows that the health risks associated with social isolation parallel those related to smoking, and these risks can be even worse than those related to obesity or lack of exercise (in adolescents, social isolation can have the same inflammatory effects as not exercising). Later in life, social isolation was found to have increased the risk of high blood pressure even more than diabetes did. In fact, social connections are so crucial that lacking them can increase death risks by anywhere from 50 to more than 90 percent!

#socialdistancing #3d #3dart #3dsmax #vray #art #sureal #lonely

A post shared by Yavor Pigulev (@yavorpp) on

Social isolation can even change our brain chemistry. A study done with mice found that after just two weeks of being socially isolated, there was a significant rise in stress and behavior changes. It can also make people more aggressive.

While all of this sounds scary, it’s important to remember that you are not alone in your loneliness. Moreover, it should be noted that despite all of the adverse effects of prolonged loneliness, temporary loneliness can actually be “a productive and healthy thing,” according to NYU sociologist Eric Klinenberg. Additionally, there are definitely steps we can take to avoid social isolation leading to the drastically detrimental effects mentioned above.

First of all, it’s important to create a routine that is distinct to your new home life. While this may be easier said than done, simply trying to create a few daily habits can create stability and schedule. Additionally, if possible, it is great to get outdoors. Experts say that being in nature can increase one’s happiness, concentration and ability to heal. It can also be a good way to get exercise without coming into contact with other people. 

Most importantly, take to heart the advice of experts not to practice emotional distancing. Take this slower time to connect and reconnect with friends, new and old, and to spend more time with family. It can be strange to set up a FaceTime call when you think you have nothing to talk about. Sometimes you may want to get creative and do different activities, such as eating a meal together, coloring, watching a movie (Netflix Party is a great chrome extension for this!), or simply having each other there while doing homework. 

Be sure to manage your own stress by practicing hobbies. If you’re having trouble concentrating, meditation and deep breathing can be a huge help. In fact, doing this can trigger the brain to release neurotransmitters such as dopamine and serotonin. I find guided meditation apps such as Headspace or meditation podcasts on Spotify to be helpful with this since I can be very restless and find it difficult to sit still on my own.

While there is clearly the potential for many negative effects to come with social isolation, there are also a number of ways in which we can avoid them. Being physically distanced from others can make us feel more lonely, but it is important to remember that many other people are actually dealing with the same exact (or very similar) issues as we are. That is one of the reasons why I feel this is a particularly unique moment in history.

Make sure to stay connected with others and take care of yourself the best you can, and most importantly, remember that you are most certainly not alone in this.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Anika is a sophomore at Boston University studying Media Science and Psychology. She is from San Diego, CA and enjoys going to the beach, doing yoga and listening to music.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.