How Moving Off-Campus Improved My College Experience

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

As much as I love college life, there are definitely some things I wish I could change —  the food could be better, the classes should be smaller, and even the campus shuttles could use a makeover. But, by far my LEAST favorite thing about campus living is having to share a bedroom with another person. It’s inconvenient and a major invasion of privacy. By the time sophomore year rolled around, I knew I couldn’t spend another year in a shared room. 

Photo credit: Unknown 

Going into my junior year, I chose to move into a house in a neighborhood close to campus. I now live with 6 other girls, most of whom I get along with fantastically. One thing that I noticed right away when I moved in with my roommates was that I never felt lonely anymore. Even though we all had our own rooms, very often there was always someone in the kitchen or living room that I could go hang out with if I ever wanted company. It was nice to have the option to go to my room when I wanted to be alone or sit in the living room if I was looking for company. This was a choice I never had when I had to share a bedroom with someone. 

Photo credit: Unknown 

Moving off campus taught me to be more responsible. I had a kitchen and a bathroom that my roommates and I were responsible for keeping clean. I learned how to clean stoves, keep the kitchen sanitary and organized, unclog a toilet, and other not-so-fun but necessary adult life skills. I also no longer had a dining plan, so I needed to cook for myself for the first time in my life. I feel a lot healthier and more energetic now that I’m cooking food that I enjoy. As someone who doesn’t eat pasta or dairy, it was hard to find food that I could eat in the dining hall. Now, I have more choices and freedom to decide what to eat, and I always have access to food; no more worrying about the dining hall closing before I had dinner! If I want to make rice at 11 pm, I now have the freedom to do so. Cooking for myself gave me a sense of independence and confidence that I did not have when I lived in a dorm and depended on the dining hall for all my meals.

Photo credit: Unknown 

Freedom and privacy were two of the big reasons I wanted to move off-campus in the first place. I didn’t want an RA or any rules dictating what I could do, what I could have in my room, or when I could have visitors over. I can make all of these decisions for myself now. Having my own place away from campus also made me feel more relaxed. I felt like I had a place where I could get away from all the stress of college and feel at ease. Being constantly surrounded by school, professors, and people studying or doing work made me feel overwhelmed at times and really pulled me into a college “bubble.” Escaping that environment by moving off-campus actually made me more productive and gave me more motivation because now I had a place to recharge. 

Moving into my apartment helped me reclaim my own space and feel more at home than I ever did in a shared room. While living on-campus in a shared dorm is without a doubt a great college experience, there comes a point where it’s time to find your own place where you can make your own rules!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Leanna, originally from New York City, is a student at Boston University.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.