Life > Experiences

How I Learned To Love Spending Time With Myself

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

In the wake of a new school year, there are so many things to look forward to as a returning student. Starting new classes, getting into a routine, and something I think is the most exciting part of being back on campus: reuniting with old friends. 

However, I think sometimes we forget that it’s necessary to make time for ourselves before we start to constantly commit to social events. This isn’t to say that you should completely isolate yourself in the name of self-care, but instead learn to find a balance between spending time with friends and being alone.

This is easier said than done, especially in a society that celebrates having a large friend group. I myself have fallen into the trap of believing that I need to be in a large friend group in order to fit in, but throughout the course of my first year in college, I learned that this isn’t necessarily the case. Not only did I have to unlearn this idea, but I also had to learn how to love being by myself. Sometimes—especially in college—you’re all you have.

Following the “Hot Girl Walk” trend and living next to the gorgeous Charles River Esplanade, I began going for long walks with myself.

Note how, instead of by myself, I said with myself. The former implies that you’re alone, while the latter implies that even if you are alone, you aren’t lonely. During these walks, I listen to music, enjoy the views, call my mom, take lots of pictures, and just indulge in the time I’m spending with myself. By taking the time and being intentional about it, I learned to love spending productive time alone and listening to my inner feelings.

Walking isn’t the only way to enjoy spending time with yourself, either! Some of my favorite things to do alone include going to a bookstore, journaling, exploring new parts of town that I always said I’d get around to but never did, and trying new restaurants — it’s okay to go out to eat alone!

being alone doesn’t mean that you have to be lonely. You are one of the best people that you know, and it’s time For you to recognize that.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, watch us on TikTok, and read our latest Tweets!

Lara Hibbert is a member of the writing team for the Her Campus at Boston University chapter. She loves to write about life in the city, advice, music, books, entertainment, and pop culture. Outside of Her Campus Boston University, Lara works as a politics writer and anchor for WTBU News, and as a writer and crew member for Good Morning BU. She also DJ's on a show on WTBU called Intermission. She is currently working towards a Bachelors of Sciences as a sophomore at Boston University, majoring in Journalism with a minor in Political Science. In her free time, Lara enjoys going for long walks along the river while listening to her favorite Taylor Swift album, going to concerts, hiking, and swimming. She's also a Jeopardy geek and obsessed with watching reality television with her roommates.