This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Wearing leggings is on trend! Yes, you read that right. Athleisure, or wearing workout clothes in settings other than the gym, is on trend and bigger than ever.

This comfortable look is seemingly a fan favorite, with celebs and fashionistas, from Kendall Jenner to Kate Middleton, debuting their chicest athletic attire.

Here’s a how to guide for nailing your best and most effortless athleisure look.

1. Leggings or Joggers

Lululemon Get Going Jogger

Forever 21 Active High-Waisted Leggings

Leggings are THE athleisure staple. You can never go wrong with a pair of black leggings as the basis of your look. But, there is always the option to get funky with your colors and patterns.

Joggers are a great option, for the days you would rather wear sweatpants but still want to be put together. Shops like Lululemon, Gap Fit, and Forever 21 have great options.

2.  Super Soft Tees and Cropped Tanks

Lululemon Rest Less Pullover              

Athleta Criss Cross Sweatshirt top

Alo Yoga In the City Short Sleeve Top               

Gap Fit brushed jersey gathered crop top

Pair those cute leggings with a super soft long sleeve tee, flowing tank, or tight crop top. You can find the right top for just about any occasion. Dress your athleisure up or down by layering different pieces.

3. Hoodies, Jackets, Vests 

GapFit jaquard bomber jacket           

Ivy Park Flag Badge Sweatshirt

Gap Fit Puffer Vest 

Layering is the key to comfortable and cozy athleisure, especially for winter. Add on a cute bomber jacket, cropped or cowl neck hoodie, or puffer vest. It can immediately pull your look together!

4.  Chic Sneakers

Nike Air Max Thea Metallic Lace Up Sneakers

Adidas Originals Court Sneaker

As they say, the shoes make the outfit! Make your look more leisurely with a casual sneaker or make it more athletic with training sneakers. If you’re comfortable, the look will be too. Slip ons, tie-ups, and high tops all complement the athleisure vibe.

5. And the accessories….

Photo credit: US Weekly

Finish off your athleisure look with some accessories. For a day out, complement your comfortable outfit with some shades and a cozy beanie. To keep with your sporty theme, don’t forget to bring along a backpack or chic cross-body bag!

Athleisure is a fun way to spice up your wardrobe, while being comfortably chic. Own your sporty it-girl look! As a longtime fan of athleisure, I hope these tips can help inspire you to expand your style and your closet. BRB, shopping…

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Christina Constantine is a Boston University senior studying journalism. She is a New York City native that loves all things fashion, health, and lifestyle related.    
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.