Wellness

How to Adjust to College as a Freshman, from a Freshman

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

A year ago today, I was a senior in high school stressing over college applications. Writing and rewriting my essay, making sure my teachers filled out my recommendations, anxiously worrying about if I could get into my dream college. I could barely think a month ahead, let alone a year. And now, here I am, a dream come true.

Well, almost.

I’m a college freshman during another unprecedented moment in history, where the usual tips and tricks don’t exactly help anymore. No one has ever done this before, and it’s hard to come into college knowing how to navigate it during a pandemic. So, as I complete my first month at BU, I have a couple of things I’ve learned about the college so far and how to adjust to it. 

Set a daily schedule.

Yeah, I know, getting up before you need to is the last thing you want to do, but your mind and body will thank you. I don’t have early mornings classes, excluding my Tuesday calculus discussion beginning at 9:30, but I always make sure to be awake by 9:15 anyway. It helps me wake up without feeling groggy before class and sets the tone for the day. Wash your face with some cold water and eat a decent breakfast (I know it’s too outlandish to say a healthy one). If you have lots of time before your first class, start some homework or even just chill in bed for a bit. It will help you stay focused and motivated.

Get a calendar and planner.

We’re broke, yeah, but save up $20 to get both because it will help you. So. Much. My desk calendar has quite literally saved my life so far; I’ve logged my classes everyday along with big exams/midterms and meetings, and it helps me stay organized. I look at it everyday to make sure I don’t miss classes or exams, and, of course, it’s color coded. As for a planner, it’s the easiest way to write down homework assignments and give yourself time to spread it out over the week. Write down under every day what homework you plan on finishing that day, then check it off once it’s completed. It helps you get things done, yes, but it also feels good checking off every assignment on the list until you’re done.

Do not stress about friends.

https://twitter.com/Ziraahh2/status/1294535878505713665?s=20

Making friends is already hard, and now we’re forced to make friends during a pandemic, when we can’t hang out in groups or even talk to the person sitting next to us in class. Do not have expectations and do not compare yourself to what you see people doing on their social media; this is not a race. Take your time, get comfortable, and when you feel confident enough, maybe find someone in each of your classes that you can have for backup. Ask them for their Snapchat or even message them on Instagram; introduce yourself, tell them you share a class together, and see what happens. We’re all a little desperate right now, so have no shame. I don’t have a friend group yet either, only a few friends here and there (along with my roommate), so don’t stress. We’ve only been in college for a month. The same advice goes for those learning remotely: social media will become your best friend. Just don’t be too hard on yourself. 

Leave your room.

So far, Boston is having some amazing weather. Don’t be shy to mix up your work space and go outside to get some Vitamin D and to get some studying done. If you’re on campus, that may be on the BU beach or on COM Lawn. If you’re remote, even going out onto your backyard or patio can give you some much-needed change in scenery. I’ve attached the “F*ck It Won’t Cut It” post about some cool places to study on campus!

These tips have worked pretty well for me the past month or so, so I hope they at least just comfort you that all of us freshmen are going through pretty similar struggles. This isn’t really what we signed up for, but it’s our job to make the best of it!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Caitlynn Tibbetts is a freshman at Boston University, planning to major in Finance and Global Business. She has been published in the Florida English Journal and Parkland Speaks. Coming from South Florida, she’s excited to join and explore the city of Boston and everything it has to offer.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.