The Hidden Benefit of 8am Classes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Like many college students, mornings are not my thing. I rarely go to bed before 1 AM on any given night.  Although I’m physically incapable of sleeping past 9 AM for some reason, I can lie in bed and do nothing until an acceptable time to eat breakfast has passed by. In high school, my classes started at 7:35 AM. I was late way more than I care to admit. So, when it came time to choose classes for college, I wasn’t thrilled when the only writing class I could find that worked with my schedule was at 8 AM three days a week. Add in a three hour 8 AM bio lab another day and I was only left with one day a week when my classes started at (so late!) 9:30. When the school year started, it only got worse: I realized my writing class was as far away from my dorm as it could possibly be while still on campus and my bio lab wasn’t much better. So, yeah, I didn’t exactly pick the world’s best schedule for someone who was late all the time in high school.

Credit: shutterstock.com

It’s been a few months and I can’t say waking up my roommate with my obnoxious alarm, walking twenty-five minutes in the 7 AM cold, and not having time for breakfast has been great. My writing teacher even had to tell me that I needed to be better about showing up on time. But recently I’ve been a little better. I haven’t been late as much (mostly since I finally realized the BU shuttle stopped right near my dorm and took way less time).

Credit: pexels.com

Last week, when I had to choose my classes for next semester, I had the choice between starting later and having huge gaps in between my classes or taking four 8 AM classes and being done by 12.

Somehow, after thinking I would never do this to myself again, I ended up choosing the 8 AM classes a second time. Call me crazy, but I realized that even if I am more of a night person, I’m more productive if I have a large chunk of time for homework instead of little gaps. So, I’ve been trying to have more of a positive outlook on my early classes. I feel like the reputation they get is a little exaggerated.

By taking classes earlier in the day, you can relax while everyone else is still worried about school. You never have to miss a club meeting or dinner. And, if you get all your work done, you can do whatever you want. So coming from a non-morning person, I believe the initial horror of waking up early is worth it in the end.

A happy ending to the day is the last thing you’ll remember and the whole day can end on a better note.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Olivia is a sophomore in the College of Arts and Sciences studying marine science. She loves the ocean and summer more than anything and wants to live somewhere warmer one day even though she's spent her whole life in Massachusetts. She also likes music, night runs, and writing pointless things.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.