Healthy (And Easy) Warm Fall Dinner Recipes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Fall is officially in the air, Terriers! As crisp winds blow through Commonwealth Avenue, it can be tempting to burrow into bed and skip the walk to class. But what’s even harder? Finding the time and willpower to go to the gym. To combat the cold-weather lazy haze, try out some of the healthy recipes below! 

Tomato Soup and Grilled Cheese

While the first thing that comes to mind when one thinks of healthy food isn’t typically “melted cheese and buttery bread,” grilled cheese definitely isn’t the worst thing you can eat — especially if you make it yourself! This recipe is simple: buy a box or a can of tomato soup (tomato basil if you want more flavor) and heat it over the stove on medium until it’s hot. For the grilled cheese, place two or three slices of organic sharp cheddar between two pieces of whole-grain bread, and cook over medium heat with butter. 

Pro tip: jazz up this classic by spreading a light layer of low-fat mayonnaise on the two slices of bread before cooking!

Sausage Oven Roast

This recipe is amazing! It’s hearty, delicious, and packed with flavor — perfect for a fall night in. What you’ll need is: Italian sausage, broccoli, one red potato, an orange bell pepper, green beans, couscous, and some spices. 

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then cut up everything but the couscous and spices and place them in the pan. Coat the vegetables and sausage in olive oil, then season with: salt, pepper, oregano, garlic powder, paprika, and thyme! Roast the whole tray for 30 minutes, stirring everything at the halfway point so it doesn’t stick to the pan. 

Cook the couscous according to the instructions on the box, and enjoy!

Lemon Honey Chicken Roast

For a lighter touch, cook this delicious chicken. It’s easy because you just throw everything in a pan and roast it for 30 minutes, making clean-up minimal. 

What you’ll need: chicken tenders, broccoli, asparagus, green beans, low-sodium soy sauce, organic honey, lemon juice, and sesame oil. 

Start by making the dressing for the chicken and vegetables: combine three tablespoons of soy sauce, three tablespoons of lemon juice, ⅓ a cup of honey, and 2 teaspoons of sesame oil in a small bowl and stir! 

Next, place the chicken on the sheet pan and drizzle half of the dressing over it. Bake at 400 degrees Fahrenheit for 15 minutes, then add the broccoli, asparagus, and green beans to the pan. Season to your taste with salt, pepper, garlic powder, chili powder, and paprika and pour the rest of the dressing over the pan. Cook for another 15 minutes, then broil the whole pan for about three minutes to form a nice crisp on the chicken. Enjoy!

Chicken Noodle Soup and Roasted Greens

This recipe is by far the easiest on the list– simply buy your favorite canned chicken noodle soup (I love the Yes! brand) and some green beans and broccoli. Turn the oven up to 400 degrees Fahrenheit, then coat the green beans and broccoli in olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast the greens in the oven for 30 minutes, warm the soup on the stovetop, and enjoy a delicious meal! 

While all of the above take an oven and a trip to the grocery store, they’re all totally feasible for a first-time chef. It may look intimidating at first, but a warm and healthy home-cooked meal is the best way to nurture your soul in the coming chilly months. Stay warm, Terriers!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Amille is a senior at Boston University pursuing a Bachelor of Arts in English. Her passions include travel, cooking, and creative writing; when she isn't testing new recipes and working on her first novel, she's spending time with pets and making memories with family.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.