XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
XBadSkincareHabits HeroImage?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

Five Simple Steps to Create Your Ideal Skincare Routine

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Amidst the hustle and bustle of busy college days, we often forget to prioritize our skin. After all, it is easy to resort to a makeup wipe instead of taking the time to thoroughly rinse and cleanse our faces. And if you don’t already have a routine of some sort, it can be difficult to know where to start. To get started – Here are five easy steps to begin curating a skincare routine that works for YOU:

Know Your Skin 

You can’t take care of your skin until you know what your skin needs. A product that works flawlessly for one person may have very adverse effects on someone else with a different skin type.  For example, Acne-treatment creams are often extremely helpful for those with more oily textures but are damaging to people with drier features. Luckily, there are magical tools out there to help you determine your unique skin type. Try out online skincare quizzes from Sephora, Ulta, and Glossier or download apps such as MMSkincare and Think Dirty. You can even see professionals who work in makeup or skincare departments to get advice on your skin. Make sure to utilize these resources and know your skin type prior to committing to any products!

Invest in Quality Products

After learning more about your skin and what it needs, identify products that are helpful for you, and make sure to purchase them from reputable, ethical brands. In general, most people have face wash and cleansers, exfoliators, and moisturizers in their routines. Face wash and cleansers are crucial because they clean off oil, sweat, dead skin, and anything else that may have accumulated on your skin. Face cleansing devices like silicone brushes may also help you keep your skin squeaky clean. Additionally, exfoliators are especially helpful if you have oily skin because they clean pores and mitigate acne. Exfoliators aimed for drier skin specifically can help restore softness and improve skin texture without damaging your skin or making it too dry. Lastly, moisturizers are undoubtedly one of the most important products no matter what your skin type is because it helps improve very dry or very oily skin, maintain hydration, and leave your skin looking and feeling healthy. And make sure to use moisturizers that have high SPF levels in order to protect your skin from sun damage.

Hydrate & Maintain a Healthy Diet

Staying hydrated is one of the easiest and most effective ways to maintain healthy skin. Drinking enough water will help build resilience by strengthening the elasticity of your skin, making your skin feel softer than ever. Water also serves as a natural cleanser and helps remove blemishes. You should aim for a daily fluid intake of about 10-15 cups. Fruits and vegetables can also increase your hydration levels, so make sure to incorporate those into your meals. Foods that are essential for your skin health include avocado, cucumber, watermelon, fish, nuts and seeds, grapes, dark chocolate, among countless others. After all, you are what you eat, so be sure to prioritize healthy eating if you desire healthy skin!

Get Enough Sleep 

Sleeping essentially repairs your skin. While you’re sleeping your body builds new collagen, a protein that strengthens the connective parts of your body such as bones, cartilage, and skin. Aim for around 8 hours of sleep a day. If you are consistently sleep-deprived, it can lead to adverse effects on your skin such as outbreaks and inflammation, acne, allergies, and irritation. So make sure to get that beauty rest!

Lay Out Your Routine

To stay on top of your skincare routine and be consistent, it is helpful to create a daily schedule for yourself that you can store on your phone or on paper. In this schedule, you can make note of when to wash your face and cleanse, moisturize, drink water, and anything else you find important for your skin. Consider downloading apps specifically designed for skincare! Some of my personal favorites include Skincare Routine and Charm, both of which you can find on the Apple Store. Once you get accustomed to your skincare routine, it will naturally become a part of your daily rhythm! 

By identifying your specific skin type, researching and purchasing products suitable for you, and taking care of yourself through hydration, a healthy diet, and sleep, you will be on the road towards healthy, glowing skin in no time. Be creative with your skincare routine and spice things up with a cute face mask from time to time. Good luck! :)

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Wish Pandey is a senior at Boston University studying International Relations and Entrepreneurship. In her free time, Wish loves to read, travel, and attend concerts!