This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Thanksgiving is right around the corner and it’s time to start looking for recipes! While this Thanksgiving may look a little different than usual due to the coronavirus pandemic, there are still safe ways to gather with friends and family. Life can be really difficult right now but we should appreciate all the ways we can stay connected. Here are five recipes that are easy to make for one person, and then hop on Zoom with your friends and show them what you made.

Pumpkin Pecan Coffee Cake

This coffee cake looks so good, and will definitely be my addition to the family table. This is an interesting way to add a fall spin on a non-traditional Thanksgiving dish! The coffee cake’s prep time is 15 minutes while the bake time is 30 minutes, so this is a pretty quick recipe to prepare. The cake consists of butter, a can of pure pumpkin, yellow cake mix, pumpkin pie spice, baking soda, and vanilla. This is a super delicious recipe for the season.

Stuffing Mac and Cheese

I can’t believe that this is the first year I am hearing of this incredible take on traditional mac and cheese. Speaking as a self-proclaimed mac and cheese connoisseur, I can definitely say that this will be added to my family’s Thanksgiving menu. We don’t traditionally make mac and cheese, but I have to try this. The recipe takes the essential elements of stuffing, celery, onions and bread cubes, and adds it on top of the pasta. Another added element of this dish is that it uses brie cheese instead of traditional cheddar. This is a must-have on the dinner table.

Roasted Corn and Jalapeno Cornbread

This is another recipe that takes a traditional Thanksgiving food and gives it a twist! This cornbread uses actual corn and diced jalapenos to add a kick to this side dish. An added bonus is that it is gluten-free, and uses oat flour instead of traditional flour. It also uses coconut milk and maple syrup. Baking time is 45 minutes, but then you will have delicious, spicy, cornbread, and the whole house will smell amazing!

Sweet Potato Casserole

I wasn’t a fan of sweet potatoes until a few years ago, but now that I like them they are a must-have at the dinner table. This recipe starts by boiling the sweet potatoes for about 20 minutes, then mashing them up until smooth, then adding brown sugar, salt, cinnamon, and butter, adding marshmallows on top, and baking for 20-25 minutes. The casserole can also be made ahead of time and put in the fridge, then popped in the oven day-of!

Crispy Maple Mustard Brussels Sprouts

Since my family insists on having at least one vegetable at the Thanksgiving table, I insist on having it taste delicious! I am super excited to try this take on roasted brussel sprouts. The topping for the roasted brussel sprouts combines salt, pepper, mayonnaise, maple syrup and dijon mustard. I think these flavors would taste amazing together, and this seems like a dish my whole family would enjoy.

While this Thanksgiving may look a little different than normal, there’s no reason it shouldn’t taste the same, or even better! I hope this list of 5 recipes gives you some good ideas for recipes to make for yourself, your family, or your friends this holiday. 

Grab some friends, send out the Zoom link, and get cooking.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Jenny is a sophmore at Boston University. She is studying psychology with a minor in special education. She is from Massachusetts, and loves all things MA! Her hobbies include listening to music, watching hockey games, and drinking coffee!