Style > Beauty

Do You Really Need a 13-Step Skin Care Routine?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

I’ll admit it: I’ve fallen victim to videos titled “My 13-Step Skincare Routine” and thought, “if only I devised such a skincare routine, would my skin be this clear and healthy?”

But that’s just the thing: do you really need a 13-step skincare routine? 

It’s easy to get enamored by the idea of a complex skin routine. In addition to possibly leading to better skin, it creates this feeling of luxury and opulence. 

But on some level, is the practice of elaborate skincare routines a product of corporations wanting to sell more? A lot of the complex skincare routines we see are done by celebrities and influencers who are often paid to endorse a lot of products. Watching them plays on our mind and we’re left with new cravings. 

The same goes for fashion. We feel this need to always buy more—that no amount of clothing will ever be enough. Could complex skincare routines be striking that same impulse? Are we falling into a trap of buying more and using these routines as justifications of buying more? 

Photo credit: Too many clothes 

And most importantly, are such long skincare routines healthy and safe? After all, the skin is an organ. While it needs care and nourishment, aren’t we taking skincare a little too far? 

Sometimes, using too many products at once can leave your face irritated or itchy or red. These are more obvious signs of skincare products working against your skin, but there are also more long-term effects of such routines that we might not see at first. You may find your skin feeling good after finishing your routine, but in the long run, it might dry out or loosen. 

The skin has its own defenses against skin-based problems, but by using too many products, we may damage these natural methods of skincare—which could eventually lead to a cycle of dependence on products. This dependence is an indication and result of weakened skin. 

There’s no point in an elaborate skincare routine if it’s emptying your bank account and your skin of its strength. 

Photo credit: Skin care

So what should you do to achieve the healthiest skin possible? 

Good, healthy and glowing skin doesn’t need a battalion of professionals or products, it needs to be loved, nurtured and appreciated. The point is not to abandon skincare routines—but to redesign and restructure them.

Devise a sensible and shorter routine that targets the issues of your skin. Having quality products is always better than having a larger quantity of products. Most importantly, use your skincare routine as an opportunity to exercise self-care and love. 

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.