This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

For many people all over the world, anxiety is a crippling aspect of their daily lives. It can prevent you from being able to do your basic tasks like getting out of bed, or doing larger tasks such as flying on an airplane. Common symptoms include panic and anxiety attacks and lack of motivation. It all affects your success in college (as well as every other part of your life). 

However, there are a few ways to minimize your anxiety and make your college experience better. A key problem I find when looking into my own mind, and conversing with others, is that those with anxiety often like to look to others to help them feel better. While it is definitely important to have friendships and potentially romantic relationships, my main point is that you must rely on yourself to help yourself. Childhood movies propel the “Prince Charming idea” that someone will come save you and your worries will be gone. But for many, anxiety is something that will continue for the rest of their lives. In taking things into your own hands, remind yourself to focus on not becoming overwhelmed. Others will not save you, but they can definitely help you along in your journey.

We have a few ways to begin this journey to help your reduce your anxiety!

1. Look into seeing a therapist. 

Many insurance companies have resources to search therapists in your area. You can look for ones that specifically focus on anxiety. Also, look into your school’s mental health department, where there may be potential for assistance. 

2. Do things that make you happy.

If you find yourself working endless hours at work to save up money, that is probably not helping you feel more satisfied with your life. Take some time to do something you enjoy. Going to the movies, reading a book or walking around your neighborhood are all activities you might try once in awhile to relieve some of your stress.

3. Try to minimalize your life. 

Whether this means giving away half of your wardrobe to dress more simply, taking fewer classes to lighten your homework load, or no longer continuing to be on your dance team, finding a way to have a simpler schedule will relieve some of your daily anxiety. It can be disheartening to stop doing something you’ve previously enjoyed, but it is important to think about how discontinuing your involvement may benefit you in the long run. 

4. Find yourself a cuddle buddy! 

Cuddling is known to reduce stress and even social anxiety. With the release of oxytocin in your body from even something as small as a five minute hugging session with a friend, you can improve your days. It will also improve your connection to that person. As you see your friendship deepening, the love and appreciation you have for one another will do nothing but benefit your feelings of security.

All of these may seem like a lot to take on; it can very overwhelming to confront your anxiety and do something to help yourself. But the results of gaining a support system will provide you with the help you need to do well in college. Anxiety should not be taken lightly. The more you ignore it, the more it thrives. But we believe in you— just as others do! Now go out and feel good!

Gabrielle Oates is a sophomore at Boston University. Originally from Los Angeles, she enjoys traveling and hopes to journey around the globe and expand her world view.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.