8 Reasons to Start Daily Journaling

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

By Lucy Stowe

Writing your thoughts down every day may seem tedious at first but the benefits are sure to outweigh the costs when you’re able to talk about things you can’t talk to your friends about. Instead of having to carry around all those thoughts inside of you, why not make space for more thoughts by putting your feelings on paper? It’s basically therapy, except it’s free and without social contact!

1. It’s a great stress reliever

There are so many stressful things in day-to-day life, why not unwind and let all your anger out on paper?

2. Nobody will know what you write

Want a foolproof way to make sure everything you say stays secret? Write it in a journal and hide it where no one will find it!

3. You can pick out a cute journal

The cuter the cover, the more you’ll want to carry it around and write in it.

4. It’s an easy way to improve your writing skills without writing boring essays

Writing daily in a journal will most likely make you a great writer without having to put in any effort.

5. You’ll learn so much about yourself

Introspection is key and when you’re chatting with just yourself, you may be surprised what you learn about yourself.

6. Journals can capture a time in your life that you can look back on forever

Even though these memories that you capture now might not seem so sweet, it’ll be nice to know how far you’ve come when you’re able to look back on a moment in your life.

7. Journaling can turn into blogging and blogging can turn into a career

If you really get the hang of journaling daily, you could turn that hobby into a popular and fun job.

8. Nobody’s grading you so you can write however you want

There’s absolutely no pressure when journaling — you can say whatever you want whenever you want however you want.

There are so many benefits of daily journaling — so go out, grab a journal, and start writing!

Lucy is a junior studying Psychology at Boston University. She lives in San Diego but prefers Boston. She has one cat but she would really like a large dog. You can find her lounging on the Esplanade, binge-watching Netflix in her room, or hanging out with friends on the BU beach. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.