7 Healthy Ways to Cope With Feeling Burnt Out

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We all know that point in the semester where literally everything starts to feel like a chore. You feel like you’re just on autopilot. You’re going through the motions, just trying to get through the week so you can have some rest and relaxation time. But, we all know the weekend is all too short and that the last week before spring break is agonizingly long. It’s the mid-semester slump and your girl has a severe case of it this year.

That being said, there are still assignments to be done (RIP) and other things that need attending to, so I can’t get too caught up in wanting to hibernate like a bear for the rest of winter. Here is how I try to combat my mid-semester winter blues.

1. Listen to your body.

For someone like me who has so many commitments and classes and things that need tending to, this can be super hard but it’s also so important. If you’re falling asleep in class, that’s your body telling you that you need more rest. If your friends want to go out but you don’t feel like getting out of bed and closing Netflix, then stay in. Whatever your body needs, listen to it because it knows the right ways to keep you functioning.

2. Have a good playlist.

When I’m feeling down, listening to music is my go-to. Whether its sad music (because sometimes, you just gotta have a good ugly cry) or something more upbeat, music really can solve a lot in my opinion. Recently I’ve been going into the Moods section on Spotify and listening to some of their playlists like “All The Feels,” “Life Sucks,” and “Your Favorite Coffeehouse.” A lot of the songs are comforting and just make me feel better.

3. Go to the gym.

Recently I’ve gotten back into my gym groove, which has me feeling exponentially better. I know that exercising releases endorphins, but your girl dropped her biology major a long time ago so I don’t fully understand that. I think part of it is I feel productive and I’m moving towards achieving my goals of being healthier and getting fit.

I also work out with my roommate, which I find super fun because we support one another. Just make sure you don’t go to the gym with a friend who is super competitive if that’s not something you’re into; just do what works for you when it comes to some physical activity. And it doesn’t have to be at FitRec – you can walk along the Esplanade or go for a run through Back Bay. Just make sure you’re prepared for this cold weather that we’re all hating.

4. Rest when you need it.

Another problem I have is slowing down and resting when I need to, because there’s always stuff I could be doing and people I want to see. But this semester, I’ve learned to rest when I need it because otherwise, I’m sluggish and just not in the best spirits. So, yes, I did take a three-hour nap on Monday and then go to bed for like 8 hours not too long after that. And yes, I am still tired, but that’s another story. Rest can be the best thing for your mind and your body, so make sure you’re getting enough of it so you feel refreshed.

5. Get your work done in advance if you can.

Now, I don’t mean write your essay a month in advance (unless that’s what you want to do). For example, I usually try to do this with readings. I’ll do three or four chapters at once at the beginning of the week so I’m set for a bit. It means less stress for me when I’m busier during the week and I go to lectures prepared to discuss things. It’s not always feasible, but I try to implement this when I can, particularly if I know I’m going to be super busy or stressed a particular week.

6. Make plans to look forward to.

As of right now, my plans to look forward to are going home for spring break to lay in bed with my cat, but that makes me so happy and that’s what’s kept me going through midterms season. It could just be brunch with your friends or going on a bigger trip for a long weekend or for spring break, but having something to look forward to and to count down to is really helpful. Even on the bad days, I just remind myself that soon I will be home snuggling with my cat and watching the Food Network.

7. Talk to someone.

Be it a therapist, a friend, a sibling, or a parent, just talking things out can be so helpful when dealing with a stressful or depressed time in your life. I often vent to my roommate/best friend or to my mom because sometimes verbalizing makes a world of difference. I know that for some of my friends, writing things out and just brain dumping is the way to go so that’s also a viable option.

I know this time of year can be hard between the bad weather (can the wind chill out please), midterms, and just the mid-semester slump, but there are ways to combat it! You’re talking to the queen of lazy. Not wanting to do anything but stay wrapped up like a burrito in my warm bed is my brand, but the grind never stops, ladies. Even when it’s hard, you just have to find the things that make a difference for you and make you feel better.

Happy midterms and happy spring break, you’ve all earned it!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Hi, I'm Arianna! I'm a senior at Boston University majoring in journalism. I love cats, food, hockey, and anything beauty related. I write about "How to College" and what has helped me in my transition process from tiny high school to huge university. I hope you enjoy!
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.