This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Coming into college, you are overwhelmed with homework, clubs, paperwork, and chores. In addition to dealing with these new responsibilities, you are also expected to get over your homesickness and make new friends fairly quickly. Here are five tips to help you find your best squad after moving to college!

1. Join clubs

This is probably the easiest way to meet new people that you share common interests with. Being part of the same club also makes it easier to find time to meet up when you and your friends have busy schedules. Joining clubs will help you build lasting friendships, make your resume shine brighter, and allow you to pursue your passion.

2. Take advantage of on-campus events

There are so many free and cool events happening on campus every day! Invite someone you’d like to know better to come with you and have fun. Doing something together will help overcome the initial awkwardness and encourage you both to be more involved in campus life. If you can’t think of anyone to bring with you, don’t be afraid to go alone and say hi to new people there!

3. Introduce yourself to your floormates

It’s never too late to show up to your neighbor’s door and introduce yourself. It’s nice to have an elevator buddy, say hi to each other in the bathroom, and share adversity for the school during evacuations because of faulty alarms in the middle of the night. If you feel comfortable with your roommates or floormates, suggest going on city excursions together to get to know them better.

4. Get a job

Barista, office or research assistant, dining hall employee; there are so many opportunities to get involved! Pick a job that fits your schedule and personal preferences, and get ready to bond with co-workers. Getting a job on campus is a great way to make friends and build your network in the field you want to work in after college!

5. Say hi to classmates

Don’t hesitate to say hi to the person sitting next to you in class, especially during the first few weeks of the semester. Most people love having a friend to do homework and chat with after class! It’s also a great idea to reach out to acquaintances in the same major/academic area as you, as there is a chance you’re not aware that you have classes in common.

Don’t be afraid to put yourself out there and get ready to make lifetime friends in college by implementing these tips this semester!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterestboard, and read our latest Tweets!

Ariane is a senior at Boston University pursuing a dual degree in Journalism and Political Science with a minor in Public Relations. She loves exploring coffee shops and hanging out at the Harbor. When she's not writing and editing for Her Campus, Ariane talks about women's achievements on her radio show "Ladies of History."