5 Tips for Learning a Foreign Language

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

So you want to learn a foreign language? Great, so do I! Personally, my goal is to become trilingual. However, right now I am focusing on perfecting my Spanish-speaking abilities. Even though I started learning Spanish in elementary school, I still have a LONG way to go. It takes commitment and a lot of effort. It can be intimidating but DO NOT FEAR! There are many fun ways to learn a new language!

Here are 5 tips for learning a foreign language!

1. Change the language on your phone.

Changing your phone to the language you are trying to learn is an easy way to get everyday exposure. In today’s day and age, we are constantly on our phone! It’s a good way to practice reading in the language. Moreover, since you already know what and where everything is on your phone, it’s easier to make associations with the words. You will also get used to seeing the language!

2. Watch movies/TV shows and listen to music in that language.

Watching movies and shows in the language you are trying to learn is a great way to hear the language and how it is spoken. It’s an entertaining way to learn the language! You can also turn on subtitles in English or the desired language to help! Listen to music in the music in the language you are learning too. Not only will it be a good way to jam to new music but also you will be able to practice your comprehension skills. If you can, try to actually learn the song! You will be able to sing along and learn new words and phrases.

3. Review. Review. Review.

Learning a language is not something you can do by looking at it once. It requires memorization of words so you can be able to form sentences. You need to constantly review grammar and vocabulary so it will be engraved in your mind. That way it will be easier understand, speak, and write! So review!

4. Try to speak it at least once every day.

This tip is key! It is one thing to be able to understand and read the language, but it is another thing to actually SPEAK the language. Speaking the language is difficult because it is a reaction, which can be very intimidating if you are just learning. The only way you can improve your speaking abilities is if you actually speak! 

5. Study abroad!

Studying abroad is probably the most beneficial way to learn a foreign language because you actually have to use it! You are completely immersed in the language. Eventually, you will feel more comfortable speaking this language abroad because it is part of the lifestyle of that country. Plus, studying abroad allows you to develop the proper accent and learn the colloquial language!

Learning a new language is not an easy task. It is difficult and time-consuming, but the results are so beneficial. We live in a world with many people, many cultures, and many languages. Being able to communicate with other people allows us to build stronger connections! So if you can, learn a new language!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Mikaela is a sophomore in Boston University's College of Communication. Her major is advertising and has an focus in Spanish. Mikaela likes avocado toast, hot chocolate more than coffee, and dogs. Her passions include fashion, watching movies, and eating yummy food. 
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.