This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Starting anew is difficult for anyone, but especially so at a big city school like Boston University! With COVID, it seems like nearly everyone is stepping onto campus for the first time or returning after a couple of years away. Being a transfer student from a university that wasn’t quite traditional, BU is a huge change for me (but definitely a good one). However, navigating this new environment can be challenging, and I felt that I didn’t get a lot of guidance from the university when starting school here. Now that I’m getting the hang of things, here are a few things I wish I knew that would have made my transition to BU so much easier!

Get The Student Discount MBTA Pass

BU offers a discounted MBTA pass for all students, which is a great way to easily access the city at a more affordable price. This deal wasn’t something I was aware of until I got to school, and the deadline had passed by the time I found out. The university doesn’t advertise it much either. Each student has the opportunity to get a discounted LinkPass for the semester. The LinkPass is definitely the best pass to get for Boston public transportation; you receive unlimited rides on any public transport system, like the bus and the T, which makes getting around campus and the city a breeze.

Download the terrier transit app

Related to the first topic on this list, downloading the Terrier Transit app is a great way to familiarize yourself with the transport options available near BU! The BUS, a bus specifically for BU, runs through campus and to the Medical Campus. The app provides you with the estimated time of arrival of the bus to the stop nearest your location. It also shows the estimated time of arrival of the T and the public bus to your closest stop. Familiarizing yourself with transport relevant to BU students, like the 57 bus and the B Green Line that runs through campus is super helpful as well.

Research HUb Units

When I first started at BU, I was so confused as to what HUB credits were and how to get them. Basically, they are just breadth requirements to explore different focuses in and out of your major. Freshmen need 26 units before graduation, while transfer students only need 10. Just going to the BU course search and searching for certain HUB units will bring up all courses that fulfill those units for a given semester. They often can be obtained through courses in your own major as well!

Get a BU Sports Pass

The sports pass is included in tuition, and while you can opt out of the fee, I think it’s totally worth it! It gives you access to unlimited sports games at BU, and who doesn’t love a good hockey game in the winter?

friends at a Boston University hockey game
Alexandra Kallfelz
Sign up for student 9’s

Student 9s are basically discounted Red Sox tickets. Students in the Boston area have the chance to buy Red Sox tickets for only nine dollars when available! It’s such a cool way to experience Boston life for an affordable price.

Boston is a quaint city with so much history, but a large school like BU can feel overwhelming. However, finding small communities and getting to know the city immediately makes it feel smaller and familiar. Transitioning to a new place can be a challenge, but hopefully, these tips will make it a smooth (and fun) experience!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Ashley is currently a junior at Boston University. She is majoring in conservation and ecology biology with an interest in marine and wildlife conservation. In her free time she loves to practice yoga, read, create wellness content for her instagram @soulfullyashley, and surf when she can make it to the beach.