5 Simple Signs You’re in a Healthy Relationship

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

We are constantly interacting with and meeting new people in our day to day lives. As humans, we thrive on interpersonal relationships, whether it be your co-workers, your family, your friends, or your significant other. Creating a connection with these people is how we think of new ideas, have fun, and start families. These relationships also play a huge role in your happiness since some of the people you interact with are your support system. That’s why it’s so important to make sure that these relationships are healthy and strong. If there are any abusive signs in a relationship, it can have a really negative effect on your well-being, and that relationship should probably come to an end. Here are 7 ways to ensure that your relationship is healthy and mutually benefits both people involved.

1. You trust one another.

One of the most important things in a relationship is trust. You don’t need the stress of constantly worrying about whether or not you’re being lied to. You shouldn’t be worrying about if your friend lied to you about having plans that not, or if your significant other might be cheating on you. You should also feel comfortable telling the person almost anything. According to Psychology Today, you should feel okay sharing “the good, the bad, and the ugly.”

2. You respect each other.

This sounds basic, and maybe pretty obvious, but it’s true. People in a healthy relationship respect each other’s decisions and way of life. That can range from their social life to their spiritual life. This also means respecting your differences. If you disagree on something, there should be acceptance of that disagreement and the ability to make a compromise or consensus while still maintaining a mutual respect level.

3. You both contribute equally to the relationship.

If you’re asking your friend if they want to hang out constantly and they never reciprocate, or if you feel like you’re constantly doing nice things for your SO and they almost never do, it’s probably a good time to talk with the person about it. It’s not fair for you to put in all the work and never get anything in return, and can feel exhausting. Your thoughts and time are important, so make sure the people you spend time with are making you feel like those things matter.

4. You like both yourself and the other person in the relationship.

You may think, “Well, duh, of course, I like that person. That’s why I’m in a relationship with them!” But Real Simple says that you should make sure that you like that person- and yourself- for who they are in the present, and not who you hope they become. With that being said, you should still be able to recognize that neither of you are perfect and that there are some things about each other that you accept.

5. Communication is easy.

It should be just as easy to sit down with the person and talk about something on the more serious side than it is to talk about fun, lighthearted things. Obviously, some topics truly are hard to bring up, and that’s okay, but if it feels like you literally could not talk to that person about something that means a lot to you, then this person may not be the greatest fit for you. Being able to comfortably talk about your thoughts and feelings is so important, so surrounding yourself with people who allow you to do that is equally important.

Being around the right people is the key to your happiness. There’s no point in being with people who make you unhappy and can be harmful. If one of your relationships makes you feel uncomfortable, unsafe or lowers your self-esteem, it’s time to end it. Those who truly care about you want you to be happy and healthy and will do what they can to ensure that your well-being is a top priority. Being in a healthy relationship is so great for both your mental and physical health, so even though getting out of an unhealthy one can be hard and upsetting, in the long run, you’ll be helping yourself be the happiest and best version of you possible.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.