5 New Habits To Try for the Spring Semester

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Welcome back to school, collegiettes! As the spring semester begins, many people set resolutions for themselves or come up with a long list of goals to achieve. Being motivated by a new beginning is great, but I always find it difficult to keep the momentum of my new semester’s resolutions. That’s why, instead of setting too many goals to reach or resolutions that are unrealistic, I’m trying to form five simple new habits to improve my life in college. In the hopes that they can be helpful to other students starting a new semester, I thought I’d share them with you!

1. Go out and explore once a week.

Credit: Boston Globe

One of the best things about going to BU is having the whole city of Boston right at your fingertips. Unfortunately, the BU Bubble is real, and sometimes it’s hard to find time to get off campus and explore the amazing city around us. This semester, I want to make more of an effort to go somewhere fun off campus every week. Forming the habit of getting out will help me find new spots around the city that I love, and it will clear my head when I need a break from campus.

2. Drink enough water every day.

Credit: Laselle Falconer

Yes, you probably hear this advice all the time, but it’s true! I definitely did not do a great job of this in the fall semester, but this spring, I am determined to hydrate like a queen. One thing that I have found helpful is investing in a good water bottle. Brands like S’well and Hydro Flask are my personal favorites. Carrying around a reusable bottle (decorated in my favorite stickers) is an environmentally friendly and fun way to remind myself to stay hydrated.

3. Get eight hours of sleep more often.

Credit: Career Girl Daily

This one will probably be the hardest for me. What college student has a normal sleeping schedule? But staying up late and sleeping in—or worse, staying up late and waking up early too—can seriously mess with your ability to function. This semester I want to at least get eight hours of sleep on weeknights. I know that, personally, it’s unrealistic for me to expect myself to get enough sleep every night (hey, it is college after all), but hopefully this new habit is a step in the right direction.

4. Eat three square meals a day.

Credit: We Heart It

My trouble getting in three meals a day definitely stems from the not-so-great sleep schedule I had last semester. The most important part of this (which I haven’t been doing) is eating breakfast. We’ve all been told that breakfast is the most important meal of the day, but in the past, this hasn’t really convinced me to wake up earlier so I could fit it in my schedule. This semester I want to get in the habit of eating breakfast every day, so I can be a healthier and happier me.

5. Do The Most™ for all of my classes.

Credit: Totes My Notes

It’s easy enough to do what is assigned to you, get a (hopefully) good grade, and pass your classes. And while that alone is important, this semester I want to put in the extra effort to get the most out of the classes I am taking. When a professor recommends additional articles to read or suggests attending a public lecture, I want to take those opportunities to learn more about the subjects that I’m interested in. Plus, you never know when going the extra mile can help you spark a new interest or make connections!

Whether you’ve got self-improvement aspirations or you’re just continuing to kill it in college by doing your own thing, good luck in the new semester!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Morgan is a senior at Boston University studying public relations with minors in art history and political science. She loves fall, cafés, and exploring Boston. She is a frequent art museum goer and an ardent Bruins fan. Besides writing, Morgan's hobbies include curating Spotify playlists, cheering on the BU Terriers at hockey games, and exploring independent bookstores.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.