Crudites

5 Healthy Late Night Snacks to Satisfy Your Cravings

Everyone indulges sometimes—we deserve it. But if you’re like me and have found yourself eating out of boredom during quarantine, here’s a list of some healthy (and just as tasty) options!

1. 1. Frozen Treats/Smoothies

One of my major late-night indulgences used to be ice cream, but now that trips to the store are much less frequent, I’ve shifted to making my own frozen desserts—and this is probably for the better! There are a million combinations of ingredients you can use to make these, but this is how I usually do it: for the base, I use either almond milk or coconut water. Then, I add in fruit; lately, I've been loving frozen bananas, blueberries, mangos and pineapples. If you’re really craving something sweet, I recommend adding extra honey on top! You can also blend in extra ice to make it thicker.

2. 2. Pita Chips

A lot of the time when I’m craving chips, it’s not really that I want anything specific but just that they’re the first thing to pop into mind when I’m bored and looking for food; pita chips can be a great alternative for junk foods like potato chips and cheese puffs, and they don’t have to be bland! I like eating salted ones and trying different kinds of hummus (Trader Joe's has some great variety), from avocado to spicy, on top.

3. 4. Nuts

This one’s a no brainer, but I often forget about them. To me, nuts can be a kind of boring snack, so I usually like to eat them as a trail mix of cashews and almonds mixed together with raisins, dried cranberries and/or chocolate chips. Another option I like (but often forget about) is pistachios. All of these nuts are sources of fiber and protein among various other health benefits, so you really can’t go wrong.

4. 5. Dark Chocolate Treats

Dark chocolate has many health benefits—including being antioxidant-rich. Some good options featuring it are Bark Thins (especially the mint ones) and chocolate-covered almonds. You can also get creative and melt a chocolate bar to make chocolate-covered strawberries or fondue for any other fruit.

While sometimes we are just craving one thing and one thing only, these five healthy snacks are solid alternatives for when you just want something to munch on without the added calories.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!