stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
stephanie greene rMzg35fH6K0 unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

10 Types of Protein to Spice up Your Bland Veggie Salad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

Whether you just decided to become vegetarian or have been doing it for years, here are a few tips on how to add protein into your daily diet. 

Chickpeas

Chickpeas are easy to make and a great source of protein. You can buy them canned and the good news is, they stay fresh for a very long time. Once you buy them, roast them on the stove in a medium saucepan. Add some olive oil, pepper, and salt to the dish and cook on low. Then add the spice cumin for some spicy flavor. Serve on top of your favorite salad for a delicious meal.

Tofu

Tofu takes a little more time to make. If you’re willing to put in the effort, tofu can be very flavorful and full of protein. My favorite way to make tofu is by soaking and frying it in coconut soy sauce. This adds a very unique taste for the perfect salad. Add it on top of your lettuce and enjoy. 

Cheese

This is one of the simplest and easiest ways to get protein. Adding cheese to any salad can add flavor and protein to an otherwise boring meal. My favorite type of cheese to add to salad is parmesan. Try parmesan and kale together (it’s a perfect combo). If you’re in a rush or are just being lazy (like me), this is the perfect solution to add some protein. 

Hummus

All things chickpeas are amazing. One food that is made from chickpeas is hummus. Hummus is another easy way to add protein to an otherwise boring salad. One of the great things about hummus is it comes in a wide variety of flavors. Some of my favorite flavors include: Black Bean Hummus, Garlic Infused/Roasted Hummus, and Spicy Chipotle Hummus. You can easily buy hummus from any store and add a scoop of it to the side of your salad. 

Falafel  

Also speaking of chickpeas, falafel is another food that comes from chickpeas. Falafel is one of my favorite foods of all time. It can be incredibly flavorful and really spice up a salad. Falafel often takes more time to make, but it can really add a lot to a meal and is loaded with protein.

Beans

Beans are an easy way to get protein and serve on the side of your salad. They also last for a super long time. All you have to do is cook them for a little and add some of your favorite spices. This is one of my favorite additions to any salad I have.

Quinoa 

Quinoa is a type of flowering plant that is very light. I add this to almost any salad I have. Although it is not the most flavorful, it’s rich with protein. If you’re looking for a light addition to your salad, this is a good choice. It’s simple and full of protein. 

Eggs

Adding a hard-boiled egg to any salad is one way to make it more exciting. Eggs have a ton of protein and add a lot of flavor. This is another easy way to make your salad a little more interesting. 

Rice

While rice doesn’t carry a ton of protein, it does have some. Usually, when I do add rice to my salad, I’ll also add beans as well. These two perfectly combine and carry protein. Add some to your next salad!

Nuts 

Finally, adding nuts to your salad is an easy and affordable way to make a salad more interesting and protein-filled. Add some nuts over the top of your salad (cashews, almonds, peanuts) and enjoy! 

Salad doesn’t have to be boring! All of these forms of protein can make a salad more flavorful and nutritious. Next time you want to make your salad more exciting, try one of these ideas!

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.