10 Dorm & Apartment Essentials You May Have Forgotten About

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at BU chapter.

If you’re moving into a dorm or apartment for the first time, or maybe you just want to decorate a bit more, I can help you out! I won’t say I’m the perfect decorator by any means—I get really messy at times, and everyone’s style varies. However, these are the items that I have found essential to my living space. They’re not necessarily the basics that everyone has, but extra items that you may not think about. Hopefully, you’ll find something new to love!

1. Fairy Lights 

While a very typical décor item, it’s something I couldn’t live without. If I need to relax, I plug my fairy lights in. They just add so much hominess and a glow of warm light that is key to relaxation. If you don’t have it, you’re really missing out.

2. A Kettle

Unless you can find a way to have a kettle in your dorm, this is more applicable to apartments.  I use this item nearly every day, and it makes so many drinks: tea, hot chocolate, coffee, etc. Luckily, my apartment-mate had one since I didn’t bring my own. But now that I’ve experienced the kettle life, I couldn’t live without one!

3. A Weighted Blanket

A weighted blanket is definitely a pricey purchase, but it’s a true essential for anyone who is under immense stress. I find a lot of the times that I can’t sleep due to stress, and that’s one of the worst feelings in the world. However, as soon as I snuggle under my weighted blanket, I can pass out immediately! It’s a miracle blanket.

4. Melatonin

While not as comfy as the weighted blanket, melatonin is a cheaper option if you can’t fall asleep. I don’t take it every day, but sometimes I just need to get rest and find myself unable to. Even if it’s only a placebo effect, melatonin will put me right to sleep.

5. Sticky Notes 

Even though I have a planner, sticky notes make me feel extra-organized. If I have a lot on my plate, I can write down everything I want to do that day in one place and cross things off as I go. Then, when I’m done with everything, throwing out the note feels so good. It’s also helpful if you need to leave a reminder or a note for your roommate or apartment-mate!

6. Spare Phone Charger

Having a spare phone charger has been a lifesaver for me. I can leave one plugged in next to my bed, but take my extra with me if I’m studying in another space or going to a friend’s place. You also never know when your charger may die, so having a back-up is never a bad idea!

7. Rolling Utility Cart

I’m an avid reader, so I often find myself lacking in shelf space. Having a rolling utility is extra helpful for storage. Plus, it’s really cute and trendy! You could easily use the cart for bath products or kitchen storage if you don’t need places for books.

8. A Robe

Blankets are great, but sometimes, you need to be more mobile while trying to stay warm. I find though, as silly as it makes me look sometimes, having a fluffy robe is so nice. I can cook and do work without worrying about keeping a blanket on me!

9. A Blender

Again, this may be more for people who live in apartments. My NutriBullet is a lifesaver when I need to whip something up to take with me on the go, or when I want a yummy drink—smoothies are the best, and can be so good for you!

10. A Floor Lamp 

No matter where you live, you’ll find that the lighting is abysmal. It’s always too dim or placed at one side of the room so that no light reaches the other side. Having a floor lamp is so versatile—you can turn it around so the light shines upward and illuminates the whole room, or use it for direct light when doing work. I don’t think I could live without mine!

I’m sure this list will grow as time goes on, but these 10 items will always be found in my apartment. I hope you found something that you now want to pick up for yourself! These items have honestly made my living experience so much better, and I hope they help you out as well.

Want to keep up with HCBU? Make sure to like us on Facebook, follow us on Instagram, check out our Pinterest board, and read our latest Tweets!

Francesca is currently studying human physiology in the beautiful city of Boston. She loves to curl up with a good book or watch a Disney movie any chance she gets.
Writers of the Boston University chapter of Her Campus.