neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
neonbrand KYxXMTpTzek unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

My 5 Favorite Ways to Self Care

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

When you’re in the middle of the semester, stressed out and feeling the burn, it’s never a bad idea to take a moment (or several) to check in with yourself. After all, you’re the one doing all the hard work – taking care of your body and mind are essential to making sure you do your best. The best part is, a lot of things that you can do to self care don’t take a lot of effort, and the reward of feeling better is totally worth it. So, here are five things I like to do to self care!

Photo courtesy of Pexels

1. Make myself a cup of hot tea. This takes very little effort on my part. I just put some water in my automatic shut-off kettle, grab a mug and my tea of choice and I’m good to go! I’ve found that mint and chamomile blends are especially calming, but I also like to explore new and different flavors.

2. Use a face mask. The right face mask can really make a difference for your skin. Not only that, but it’s nice to pamper yourself every once in awhile. Some of my personal favorites include Freeman’s gel and sugar scrub (which we were sent in our survival kit this semester!) and Formula 10.0.6’s “Get Your Glow On” peel mask (this one smells so good).

3. Drawing and painting. Even if you’re not the best artist, taking a moment to doodle can still be pretty fun! Allowing yourself to be creative can help you take a break from the stress and monotony that can sometimes accompany schoolwork.

4. Netflix. I don’t like to binge my favorite shows, but sometimes in between readings I’ll take a break and watch an episode of a show that I’m into, like Charmed, The Walking Dead, Twin Peaks or Stranger Things (season 2 is so good!).

5. Naps. I know a lot of people have mixed feelings about naps, but I’ve found that even a 20 minute nap can help me feel back on track. I think it’s best to nap sparingly (I only take a couple a week), but letting go of whatever it is you’re working on for a bit can really help you come back with a clear frame of mind.

All of these ideas are really straightforward and easy to do, and I hope this serves as a reminder that self care is about you! The best part about self care is that you don’t have to stress about doing it well – you just have to let yourself be.

Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.