This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Early morning classes have always been the bane of my existence. If there’s any advice I can pass on to my freshman self, it would be to never, ever take a class before 9 am, regardless of the subject. Waking up early has always seemed next to impossible, and I felt like I’d lost most of my day if I slept in.

This semester, however, I decided to switch things up and make a concerted effort to start my day by 7 a.m. While this has worked for the most part, here are a few new insights that I’ve learned along the way.

You get more ‘me’ time

Waking up later in the day means that there isn’t much time to just sit with yourself before your work starts to pile up. In the morning, it’s way easier to find a moment or two of peace before your day really begins.

You get way more done

Something I’ve found interesting is that I’ve been getting loads of work done despite ending my workday earlier. It’s much easier to psych yourself out of work and put it off later in the day, so when you force yourself to start earlier, you’re bound to be more productive.

Embrace naptime

I’ve always loved the occasional midday nap, but now I can’t make it through the day without one. Though it sounds counterproductive to spend a chunk of your daytime asleep, it really helps me get over my mid-day slump and get back to work.