How to Look Your Best this Spring

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Bryn Mawr chapter.

Although it may be difficult to see the light at the end of this bone-chilling winter, spring is fast approaching, and with it comes excitement, warmth and a pressure to look your best. Magazine covers will soon be filled with toned women and headlines detailing how you can drop those tricky last ten pounds. Your Instagram feed will feature people posting photos of their vacation to Mexico and models advertising Fit Tea.

The pressure to look good physically hits a peak during the summer, and this pressure begins with spring. Wanting to look a certain way due to societal pressure usually results in frustration, unhealthy habits and a loss of motivation. While it’s easy to get swept up in the summer frenzy to achieve the perfect controversially termed “bikini body,” aim instead to become a healthier version of yourself. With spring, there emerges an air of vitality — a plethora of fruits line local farmer market shelves, the heat encourages greater water intake and the excess of sunshine encourages outdoor activity. Take advantage of this beautiful season and invest in your body to achieve a natural spring glow.

Here are a few steps to get you started:

1. Cut out foods from your diet that aren’t serving you

Photo courtesy of Elsa’s Wholesome Life

Unless you’ve been living under a rock, you’ve probably heard someone say they aren’t eating gluten or to swap the cream in their coffee with almond milk. Gluten, dairy, white sugar, refined grains and processed food are all foods that unfortunately make up the majority of the American diet, but aren’t particularly great for health. Of course these foods affect different individuals in different ways. Studies have shown that the consumption of dairy causes an increase in acne, yet there are individuals who drink a glass of milk a day and have perfect skin. Take notice of how your body reacts to certain foods and adjust your diet accordingly.

2. Find an exercise that you genuinely enjoy doing

Photo courtesy of Aeriallynn

Humans were built to move. It’s easy to sit in class all day, and then go lay in bed and watch Netflix for three hours, and sometimes that’s exactly what we need, but supplement those three episodes with exercise. There’s a workout for everyone and as the weather warms up, the options for potential workouts increase. Go hiking, canoeing, kayaking, paddleboarding or swimming if you like the outdoors. Ditch the gym for an outdoor run. Find a hot yoga or pilates class you really enjoy. Join an indoor group cycling class. Search up Blogilates YouTube videos and workout from the comfort of your home. When you find the exercise that is right for you, you’re more likely to stick with it. In no time you’ll start to see your muscles become more defined and become a stronger and healthier you.

3. Build a skincare routine and stick to it

Photo courtesy of Glossier

As temperatures rise, my foundation starts to melt, and with it, my patience. The best way to avoid having this problem is to take care of your skin. Develop a skincare routine with products that work for you. And remember to moisturize and hydrate.

4. Clean out your closet

Photo courtesy of Urban Outfitters

Sell or donate the clothes you no longer enjoy wearing and make space for new clothing. Trying a new trend or revising your style can make you feel like there is an infinite possibility of  goodness in the coming season.

Enaas Sultan

Bryn Mawr '21

International studies major at Bryn Mawr College. I mostly write about TV shows, skincare, and getting through winter.
Audrey Lin

Bryn Mawr

Computer Science and Linguistics double major at Bryn Mawr College. Lover of bubble tea and anything matcha.